1748205 Members
4641 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: No event on PS failure??!

BuddyD
Frequent Advisor

Yes. The switch stack sees both the SIM server and IMC server as trap destinations yet, neither reports anything when there is a PS event. The hetwork gear site behind our firewall so I don't think that's the issue.

As I stated earlier, I have run SIM discovery and it sees the stack and is communicating ( or so it would appear) via snmp.

And after typing that last line, I see that SIM received a link up signal from the swith stack on Friday when I was configuring things, however, I also notice errors in the details of that message. Looks like a Mib mismatch...stay tuned.

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

One last tip then, Under Options > Events > Event Filter Settings you can change the settings Accept unregistered events. This should only be switched on for troubleshoot purposes, turn it of afterwards. If you don't you count get a lot of trash events where you don't have any MIBs for....
Kind regards,

Andrew
BuddyD
Frequent Advisor

Thanks again.

I did that and it doesn't seem to recognize the OID coming from the E3800 switch. I've updated the MIB's on the SIM server, which I haven't done in a while. We'll see if that helps any.

BuddyD
Frequent Advisor

UPDATE:

Installed the latest SIM mibs and re-registered them. I've opened up SIM to unregistered events and I'm getting complaints from HP switches ( E3800 and A5120 ), in addition to a Fortigate cluster. The complaints:

A genericUnregistered trap signifies that a system has sent a trap to the management server for a MIB that has not yet been compiled. Try compiling any MIBs from the vendor for this system to obtain additional information. See Details for more information.

Mib Information
The associated MIB File Name for this trap is cpqgen.mib and the MIB identifier CPQGEN-MIB

That's a Compaq MIB and with the latest HP SIM MIB pack installed, I'm confused. There doesn't seem to be specific MIBs for the E3800 or A5120, that I can find anyway.

I think I stated in an earlier post that the E3800 stack is being monitored by both SIM and IMC. If I remove power from one of the PS, I get nothing in either monitoring instance. It does show up, however, on the 3800 GUI interface (red).

I have a suspicion that the 3800's may need to be rebooted?!

Any/all hints and suggestions appreciated at this point.

Thanks.

Buddy

BuddyD
Frequent Advisor

Added the Fortinet Fortigate mibs to the SIM server, recompiled ALL mibs and re-registered them all. Restarted the SIM service on the VM and here's a curious thing that I've noticed. Though the 2 Fortinet cfg files are in the mibs folder, when I look at SIM ->Options -> Events -> SNMP Trap Settings, I do not see the Fortinet MIBs listed.

Is this normal and/or expected behaviour? Did I miss a step along the way?

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Did you use the mxmib tool? Look at page 4 of this pdf guide http://www.hp.com/wwsolutions/misc/hpsim-helpfiles/simsnmp.pdf
Kind regards,

Andrew