108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

No message when server is turned off

SOLVED
Go to solution
Hanne Eliassen
Occasional Contributor

No message when server is turned off

I recently upgraded to HPSIM 5.0 SP2. This weekend a few servers were turned off due to scheduled maintenance. They have been off all weekend, but HP SIM reports them as OK. How can I configure HP SIM to report when a server goes down? Now I turned the servers off myself, but I would like to know when a server dies the next time...

Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2
Ferry Steenvoorde
Valued Contributor
Solution

Re: No message when server is turned off

HPSIM can only test whether it can connect to a remote device. It cannot detect WHY a device is unreachable, only THAT it is unreachable.

You can create a Automatic Task that will inform you when a device is unreachable:

-Options, Events, Automatic Event Handling, New Task
-Create an event "with event and system attributes that I will specify"
-Next
-Task Name "Enter_some_name"
-Next
-Select Event where "Event Type" is "Systems Insight Manager Events", "System is unreachable"
-Next
-Select Systems wheren "System Name" is "Any"
-Next
-Select actions. Whatever you like.
-Next
-Select time filter. Enter if required, though most times the defaults will do.
-Next
-Review Summary
-Finish.

Keep in mind that HPSIM is running a scan task every 5 to 15 minutes. At that time it can detect if a server is not reachable. The status shown in HPSIM is not real-time. An alert might take some minutes before it will be sent, depending on the scan interval.
Hanne Eliassen
Occasional Contributor

Re: No message when server is turned off

Thank you for your help! I still think that HP SIM should automatically give a notice when a server is turned off, but thanks for telling me how to create a task!