1753575 Members
5991 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: No snmp traps to HP SIM 6.2 or mail

ILR

No snmp traps to HP SIM 6.2 or mail

Hi
I have intalled HP SIM 6.2 on Windows 2008 R2. All my servers are added and looks ok but if I send a test trap from any windows server from system management homepage the sim server dont get the test trap. I have "Accept unregistered events" checked. I also dont get email notification "all event types" are checked, testmail works.
The only mail I get is when I sign in to hp sim and sign off.
I also tested to shutdown windows firewall.
My old hp sim server was windows 2003 and hp sim 5.x and on that server everything worked.
6 REPLIES 6
ILR

I have also tested to unplugg the nic cable and one disk and it is reported in hp sim as a minor problem and when I reboots the server I get a critical event, these traps works ok but no mail is sent.
BPE
Esteemed Contributor

Check on your SIM server that the SNMP Service and Trap Service installed and active. 2008 R2 seems to react very different concerning the network traffic. Check on SNMP Trap source with ping if you can reach your SIM server with anIPv4 address. I saw some environment there we saw the SIM server with a IPV6 address and he was pingable but the IP Stack was not able to tunnel SNMP traps over IPv6.

nslookup will also help.

ILR

SNMP service is ok, ping and nslookup is ok, ipv6 is not used.
BPE
Esteemed Contributor

In this case I would use wireshark to be sure that your traps realy reach your sim server.
ILR

It├В┬┤s really weird, I get snmp traps when servers reboot or if I unplug a nic cable, but I don├В┬┤t get test traps, I can live whitout test traps but I need emails when traps are received but it├В┬┤s not working, test mails are working
BPE
Esteemed Contributor

What type of system and which Operating System is running on the system which sends the trap?

Your last description looks like you do not have a HP insight agent installed on the system or it is no longer running SNMP trap forwarding. e.g Community string not correct

If your trap source is a ESX host you should check the notice at the bottom of the system management home page SMH in the setting snmp section.