New Discussion юеВ

No trap produced for exceeded disk threshold

SOLVED
Go to solution
Steve Kadish
Trusted Contributor

No trap produced for exceeded disk threshold

Hi all,

Yesterday we had a server exceed its disk threshold and the Foundation Agent (v.7.40) did not produce a trap or alert. I just successfully generated a test trap from the server. Also, another server properly generated a "threshold exceeded" trap yesterday.

Short of manually exceeding the threshold by dumping a large amount of data on the server, is there some way I can check the operation of these alerts?

Thanks,
- Steve

4 REPLIES 4
tmagee
Valued Contributor
Solution

Re: No trap produced for exceeded disk threshold

To get the disk threshold alerts operating correctly, revision 7.41 (and above) of the agents are required to fix the "Threshold alerts would not get resent when the total disk usage falls below the threshold value and then crosses it again."

I don't know of a specific test for the disk threshold agent. When verifying its operation, I set the threshold and reset threshold values at close to the acual disk space used then made temporary multiple copies of a large file to fill the disk space(e.g. a service pack) until the alert was received.

Accessing the server's sim homepage, 'disk space used', shows the gui with the triangles for warning and critical levels set.

However it doesn't show what the reset threshold value is, which I think is something that should be there. Also I don't believe the 'falling alert' is generated when disk space reaches below the reset value again (though it does reset ok).
Steve Kadish
Trusted Contributor

Thanks, tmagee. I guess we will have to schedule a maintenance window to upgrade the PSP on this server to the latest.

In the meantime - since I can't do this today - does restarting the Foundation Agent "reset" things to the point where the alerts will be generated again?

Thanks,
- Steve
tmagee
Valued Contributor

I can only say that I would 'expect it to' reset the thresholds. Before the 7.40 bug was corrected I was trying various things - a system reboot certainly would reset the values, but this isn't often practical.

I've not checked what's in psp 7.5 yet, but worth checking that the agents have been upgraded (psp 7.4 still had the 7.40 agents)
Steve Kadish
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the help and advice!

- Steve