Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1752790 Members
6023 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Not getting notifications when hardware fails.

Ted Rodavich
Occasional Advisor

Not getting notifications when hardware fails.

I'm new to SIM. I'm running SIM5 with SP5. I want to set up SIM so that I get notified of any event that's anything higher than "informational" on all "servers". I have set up the email and I get some notifications (like if my co-worker fails a logon attempt to SIM) but nothing near what I should get. I want to be notified of any hardware related issues...like hard drive and fan failures.
18 REPLIES 18
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor

Hello Ted,

Incase you have alrady created notification rules and still not getting alerts,read below.

The default setting for Enabling Trap Handling in SNMP Extensions is Disabled (Not Processed)because typically, a system can be set up with an incorrect community string or an incorrect community string is set in HP SIM. This error results in an Authentication Failure trap to be sent to the management server each time a request is made to the system, which results in many traps being logged. To change this setting to Processed (Enabled), complete the following steps:

1. Open HP SIM
2. Sign in as a user with full configuration rights.
3. Select Options├в Events├в SNMP Trap Settings.
4. In the Mib Name field, select rfc1215.mib.
5. In the Trap Name field, select authenticationFailure if it is not already selected.
6. In the Enable Trap Handling field, select Yes.
7. Click OK.
These steps set the Authentication Failure Trap to be processed, and you are notified of all failures.

PS:Perhaps the (co-worker fails a logon attempt to SIM notification) is the (Authentication Failure trap to be sent to the management server each time a request is made to the system, which results in many traps being logged.)

SRH
Ted Rodavich
Occasional Advisor

I'm not having an issue with authentication failures not notifying me. I AM getting those messages. I'm NOT being notified of any hardware alerts.
Maybe I'm not understanding the differences between alerts, events, automatic event handling, tasks, etc.
If a Proliant server is having some hardware event (like a fan down) or a hard drive is failing under the "predictive failure theory", is there a way I could be notified of such an error?
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor

Ted,

In your situation,you are notified if there's a authentication failure(my co-worker fails a logon attempt to SIM) which perhaps could be due to (The default setting for Enabling Trap Handling in SNMP Extensions is Disabled (Not Processed)because typically, a system can be set up with an incorrect community string or an incorrect community string is set in HP SIM.)
And it also states "These steps set the Authentication Failure Trap to be processed, and you are notified of all failures.".

SRH
Ted Rodavich
Occasional Advisor

I'm not getting repeated notifications about failed log on attempts. If my co-worker tries to log in to SIM and messes up the attempt, I get notified (once). That's all. This is probably the way it's supposed to work.
I get notifications about other things too. Like a machine is unreachable (user shuts off his workstation), which I DON'T WANT! But more importantly, I am NOT getting notified when a server's hardware fails (and that's the whole reason I'm running SIM in the first place!)
SThorpe
Occasional Advisor

Hi Ted,

I have the same issue since rebuilding my HP SIM Server. Did you find a resolution to this?

It looks like the problem is for some reason traps from my Proliant servers aren't getting to the SIM server and registering as events. As a result I don't get any email notification when drives fail, etc.

I think my SNMP settings are correct on both SIM and monitored servers. I'm wondering if i'm missing some of the Proliant MIBS for some reason...
Albert Austin
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

In SNMP Service properties under Agent tab have you selected all Service options?
(i.e. Physical, Applications...)
Albert
SThorpe
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried enabling these settings in the SNMP service on my managed server but to no avail. I don't remember needing this in previous versions of SIM so I'm not sure if this is indeed the solution.

I put in a call to HP about this, and their line was that I needed the software version control repository and configure my managed servers to use it. I'm not sure if this is really the solution, but I'm setting it up now, so I'll post the results.

I also did a bit of troubleshooting with packet caputures, and a test trap sent from my managed server is definately reaching my SIM server, but it is not recording it under 'all events'. So we'll see if this repository malarky makes any difference :)

I'm feeling pretty dumb that this isn't working, since I have set up SIM several times previously (albeit earlier versions) and it always worked out of the box. Oh well!
Ted Rodavich
Occasional Advisor

Well, I can say that I have the version control repository all set up and working fine. The SNMP part is only 3 items (the default items). They are applications, internet, and end-to-end. Physical and datalink are NOT checked by default. So are you saying that on every proliant server that I need to go check these 2 boxes under the SNMP service properties so that all 5 boxes are checked?
SThorpe
Occasional Advisor

I'm not sure about needing those SNMP settings checked.

Ted - if you open the HP Management Agent control panel on one of your managed servers (assuming they are Windows) and click the 'Send Test Trap' button in the SNMP Settings tab, do you see an event generated on your SIM server?

When I tried this, I did NOT get an event generated on my SIM server, which leads me to believe it is not handling traps correctly. I'll keep digging...