Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1751888 Members
4935 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Not getting notifications when hardware fails.

Ted Rodavich
Occasional Advisor

Same thing for me. I sent a test trap, then went into the management server and saw no new event / alert. So I checked the few alerts I had, cleared them all, then sent another test...nothing showed up.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Things like Logon failures, or systems going critical (i.e. cannot be pinged) have events generated directly by HPSIM. SNMP is not involved in the process.

For hardware problems the agents on the remote server detects the error and generates an SNMP Trap. This trap gets sent to HPSIM and then HPSIM generates the relevent event.

If from a server you use the Send SNMP Trap from the HP Management Agents GUI and you get no event on HPSIM then you do not have SNMP Set correctly.
You need community names set up, they're case sensitive, in HPSIM and on the remote server. There should be a read only and a read/write (or read/create).
In addition on the remote server the HPSIM Servers address nees to be in the Traps section of the SNMP Properties, again using a community name that HPSIM has configured.

The remote server needs to know what community name to use and where to send the SNMP Trap.
Also on the HPSIM Server, in the SNMP properties I set SNMP to Allow All Hosts.
SThorpe
Occasional Advisor

I also tested to make sure the test traps are arriving, by putting SNMPUTIL on my SIM server (http://www.wtcs.org/snmp4tpc/testing.htm) and running the command:

snmputil trap

...which listens for SNMP traps. I then sent a test trap from my managed server using the HP Agent control panel and the test trap popped up in snmputil.

So at least I know my traps are getting to SIM.
SThorpe
Occasional Advisor

I checked my SNMP settings and they look good on both the SIM and Managed server. Still no events generated from traps though.

Is there anywhere else other than in the Options > Protocol Settings > Global Protocol Settings that I need to enable SNMP?

It really seems like for some reason my SIM installation is just not listening to traps for some reason.
SThorpe
Occasional Advisor

D'oh... after restarting the SIM service I start getting events from my traps.

I see from searching in this forum that a few other people have had issues where occasionally SIM craps out and needs a service restart.

Thanks to everyone for their helpful posts...

-Simon.
Albert Austin
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Ted,

I would suggest you to enable all services on SNMP AGENT tab and restart SIM services and see if that helps.

Albert
Ted Rodavich
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for all the posts. I've rechecked all SNMP settings and all looks right accorging to previous replies. I've restarted SIM service...I even restarted the SIM server a few times. I still am not getting any sent traps.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Ted,
Have you tried using the SNMPUtil as suggested above?
Does that record any traps?
If not, then it indicates the problem is at the server sending the traps.
Anything in between that would stop traps? e.g. firewalls
Check that on server the HPSIM Server is added to the Traps tab of SNMP. Use an IP Address rather than a name.
Albert Austin
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

I think Rob pointed out a good point. To check if anything is eating up those traps.

Check this link sounds very similar to your problem.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1059798

Albert