Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1753809 Members
8825 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Not receiving disk space alerts

Not receiving disk space alerts

We are using HP SIM 7.20
I have configured the diskspace quota's on each of our servers, and created a 'ProLiant Threshold Events' under Automatic Event Handling.
However I have never received a notication when our servers go over there quota's.
In desperation I now have this event set to 'Proliant Threshold Events' and the type is 'Any' and System is 'Any'. I have still not received any notifications.
How can I troubleshoot this further, I noticed that the last run date is never onthe 'Proliant Threshold Event' task.
10 REPLIES 10

Hi Peter,

when the thresholds are reached a snmp trap is sent to the CMS server. Can you check if the SNMP traps are recognized by the CMS?

If your monitored server is a Windows server you can thest the trap sending by opening the control center. There should be an icon for HP Mangment Agents. On the second or third register tab a button labeled "Send test trap" should appear. If you click it you will get a generic trap via your Systems Insight Manager.

The monitor server is running Windows. I have sent a test using the 'Send Test Trap' in Control Panel, Management Agents.
In the Windows Event log it has an entry from Foundation Agents saying a test trap was sent.
Not sure how can I find out if it was received?

Hi Peter,

after sending the test trap you should get an event of severity "major" in HPSIM.

A possible way to identify this event would be:

1) Open the system page of you monitored server (simply click on its name in one of the lists). You can find a screenshot attached.

2.) Change to the "Events" tab. There you should find a generic event with severity "major". You can find a screenshot attached.

If this doesn't work your SNMP configuration is obviously wrong.

With best regards.

Andi

I am definately not getting SNMP then.
How can I troubleshoot this, the HP SIM server is set to accept SNMP packets from any host.
The test server is set to send SNMP traps to IP of the HP SIM server.
What else should I check?

On the HPSIM-Server the SNMP trap service has to be started. Is this the case on your system?

SNMP is running, even running the test alert locally on the HPSIM server does not generate an alert in HPSIM.

And the SNMP Trap service is running, the startup is set to Manual but it is running.

Hi Peter,

This is quite strange. I think the error is still somewhere related to the Network/SNMP configuration.

Can you execute the following commands on your HPSIM server and past the results here?

On Windows the commands are:
netstat -an | findstr 161
netstat -an | findstr 162

The command netstat will not change anything on your system. It just lists the open ports and findstr limits the output to only SNMP ports.

The result should look somehting like:
UDP 0.0.0.0:161
and
UDP 0.0.0.0:162

Can you also post again the HPSIM version you are using? There is no HPSIM 7.20 so maybe it is the old Compaq Insight Manager in the webbased edition.