1753729 Members
4697 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Notification in SIM 5.2

sacsim
Occasional Contributor

Notification in SIM 5.2

I just installed Sim 5.2 and discovered my targets computers and able to see the status of all , but i am wondering that will suffice to get me alerted thru email which i configured with smtp in first time configuration or SIM sends major issue alert only if i install agents(wbem and snmp agents) thru 'configure or repair agents' for my targets.

thanks for your time
4 REPLIES 4
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: Notification in SIM 5.2

Depends what you want and what you're monitoring.
If they're HP Servers you can install the HP Agents (often already there if you've built the servers with Smart Start).
The agents monitor the hardware, if an issue is detected they generate an SNMP Trap. So you need the Trap destination set on the server to point to the HPSIM Server. When HPSIM gets this it generates an event.

Non-HP device can be monitored for up/doen by the polling mechanism. In this case HPSIM generates the event.

In both cases to turn the event into an e-mail (or whatever) you set up en event handler. An easy one is to set up an event handler to e-mail you for all major and critical events.

To test you can go to Control Panel on a server being monitored and run up the HP Management Agents GUI and use the Send Trap. This will generate a major event and should then action the event handler.
sacsim
Occasional Contributor

Thanks , actually when i send the trap as you said i get the event under events tab on SIM GUI and i can see that in ES(Aggregate event status) but some of the targets servers HS (health status)are critical but there is no event for them and when i click and go in detail it shows me issue in Management Processor so the question is how i can be notified if Health status in not good for any H/W and as no event is recorded for that.

Thanks
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

That's as a result of the polling. If you don't have the ILOs connected then you can disabled the reporting.
From Control Panel run the HP Management Agents GUI. from there move the Remote Insight Agent to the Inactive side and restart the agents.
sacsim
Occasional Contributor

Sorry if i was not clear but i meant i want notification for that as well when Health status (HS) has some issues but there was no event generated so not sure how i can trap that and notified?