8065 Online
108807 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

OpenSSH fails to start on new domain controllers

Richard Colebeck
Occasional Advisor

OpenSSH fails to start on new domain controllers

Hi,
We created a domain account (AdminSIM) and added it to the local admin group on each server which is then used for the install of OpenSSH. That works great for member servers, however it doesn't work for Domain Controllers. We're installing 3 new Windows 2003 R2 domain controllers on DL380 G5 servers. The servers were vanilla OS setup and added to our Windows based HP SIM server. Once SIM discovers the server a task is run to install OpenSSH which installs fine when they are member servers. However, once the DCs are DCPromo'd the service fails because the specified account (AdminSIM) doesn't have the rights needed on a DC. My question is; Should I or should I not install OpenSSH on a DC? If I install it should I either modify the rights of the user to work on a DC or simply re-install OpenSSH manually and specify the \Administrator account?

Thanks,
Richard J. C.
2 REPLIES 2
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

Re: OpenSSH fails to start on new domain controllers

richard,

it certainly won't do any harm to install ssh just do it manually and don't alter your access policy just for this.

hope this helps

Richard Colebeck
Occasional Advisor

Re: OpenSSH fails to start on new domain controllers

Thanks for the reply.
I tried to install OpenSSH manually and still experienced the 'Service fails to start' issue. At this point I'm just not going to install OpenSSH on our DCs.

Take Care,
Richard J.C.