1752701 Members
5334 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: OpenVMS and HP SIM

Carl Bennett
Advisor

OpenVMS and HP SIM

Has anybody ever gotten the OpenVMS SIM agents to work with HP SIM?

I'm using Multinet v5.2 on OpenVMS v8.3 and th version 3.4 agents loaded on an ODS-2 volume.
When I try to create a trust on the VMS box, I get an Internal Error viewing the certificate.

I finally got past that by telling the agent on the VMS box to trust everything, but now, when I try to set disk thresholds from the HP SIM server, I get an error that "the agent did not respond to the request"

I can get the SIM Agent page to come up locally on the VMS server, I have checked and rechecked the SNMP community settings and the WBEM settings and I still can not make these two servers talk.

Does adding Multinet into the equation make this an unsupportable configuration? I don't have the option of going with UCX based on multiple dependencies within the application.

6 REPLIES 6
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

You're going to be struggling is my guess.
They started off with some enthusiasm for the VMS Agents for HPSIM but then seemed to just run out of steam.
I may be out of date though, we froze VMS back at 7.2 as it is slowly being phased out here. I'm running 3.0 of the agents and they only provide basic info. Plus we have VAXes still in the mix!
Charles McMichael
Occasional Advisor

http://www.process.com/tcpip/mndocs52/admin%5Fguide/ch23.htm has a section called "Setting Up MultiNet to Use HP Insight Manager". Have you gone through those steps?
Carl Bennett
Advisor

Several times and in gruesome detail.

Currently, I can get the HP SIM server to set a disk threshold on the target server, be it alpha or itanium, so that I know communication exists.

What I can't seem to do is get a response back from either the alpha or the itanium when the disk thresholds get exceeded.

To me it would seem like there is a step that I am missing enabling traps, but if there is, then it is not a documented step anywhere that I can find.

I have set communities for traps to point to both a Win2003 and a Win2000 server, each running HP SIM in the event that there might be something OS Specific that was locking me out.

I have set trap communities in both the Multinet and the UCX config alternatively for specific IP's and finally whole subnets.

I have even loaded UCX on a DS10 just to see if I could get the traps to flow but I just can't seem to get WBEM to communicate backwards to the HP SIM server.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

It will be the VMS Server sending a trap back to HPSIM. Typically the agents get the local snmp trap send mechanism to deliver the trap.

UCX has a Trap Send utility, e.g. SNMP_TRAPSND == "$SYS$SYSTEM:TCPIP$SNMP_TRAPSND.EXE"
I've not played with it much - but I must admit I've never got a trap delivered to HPSIM. But there's is some documentation on it so it may provide some additional insight.
Carl Bennett
Advisor

All,
I finally did figure this one out.
I set up wireshark on my SIM server to prove to myself that the traps were getting there.
It finally turned out that I hadn't compiled the MIBS in correctly. Once I did that, I started to see traps.
Thanks to all who helped...

Carl
Carl Bennett
Advisor

I was finally able to get this to work by mcompiling the mibs and then mxmib'ing them into HP SIM.