Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenView Performance Manager equivalent for SIM ?

WL Unix Support
Occasional Advisor

OpenView Performance Manager equivalent for SIM ?

I am a HP-UX admin, with an OpenView background I do not know much about the apparently parallel and mutually exclusive world of SIM. Hopefully someone out there can help me out :-)

We have been evaluating OVPM, however it looks like the strategy is going to be to use SIM rather than OV - therefore is there and OVPM equivalent for SIM ? I know we will need SIM agents on the HP-UX boxes, will will need equivalents of the OpenView Performance Agents on each box aswell ?
4 REPLIES
Jov
Honored Contributor

Re: OpenView Performance Manager equivalent for SIM ?

Hi,

There are some overlap between the traditional OV products and SIM, but SIM has limited or no Performance Related Report in terms of those provided by PM or PI.

Remember SIM is for monitoring at a low level (Memory Bit Errors, and so on) and its DB is not designed to store Capacity or Performance data like PI. Or can it query OVPA (Perf Manager) Agents like PM does where data is stored on the Agent side.

Jov
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

as has been stated you will find a number of areas that hp sim either does'nt do or does not have anywhere near the functionality of the OV portfolio , but it's pretty good for what it is and another important factor for some people is it's free !

fwiw

David Claypool
Honored Contributor

A license for GlancePlus Pak is included with many of the HP-UX operating environments. That would be your preferred performance management product and integrates with the HP SIM console.
WL Unix Support
Occasional Advisor

Does the SIM console - or another SIM product provide the retrospective performance information OVPM can, either using the OVPA or a SIM component. Better still is there an OV<->SIM product equivalence table ?
I did not know that SIM could access the OVPA - I thought that OV/SIM were incompatable.
(We're probably going SIM because its mainly an MS shop here - and SIM is cheaper/free)
Thank you all for you feedback so far.