cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optimize SIM 5.0 - Tasks take forever.

Darren Z
Frequent Advisor

Optimize SIM 5.0 - Tasks take forever.

Currently we are monitoring 2200 nodes (1100 Servers, 1100 RILOEs).

The Daily Device Identification Task takes 5-6 hours to complete.
The Data Collection Task can take 2.5-3 days to complete.

Currently running on a Proliant G3 with Dual 3.06Ghz processors (seen as 4 processors) with 5GB of RAM using 100MB Full network.

During Daily Device Identification the processors stay between 1 and 15% and the RAM is at 1GB. Network bandwidth stays between 1 - 3%.

It just doesn't seem like the server is working all that hard and the tasks are taking forever.

Is there anyway to optimize SIM. Are there settings that say "Only query X amount of servers at one time"?
7 REPLIES
Darren Z
Frequent Advisor

Re: Optimize SIM 5.0 - Tasks take forever.

Is this possible...

Sorry for bumping it...

Bump.. same problem.. hope someone replies.

Same problem here - 1500 nodes.

I've actually split device identification into 2 jobs running every other night, half the nodes in each job. But the jobs still seem to take 8 hours each to run on my 380G2.

Help!

Scott
Tony Glynn
Frequent Advisor

We had the same issue. The MX.... process is memory hog - Combined with SQL = issues.

Anyone running 2200 nodes on MSDE is asking for it. MSDE is limited in the number of concurrent queries it can run so your queries are simply being queued for execution.

DB now on dedicated SQL Server (Opteron servers - BL25P's ROCK!).

Lots of issues now "gone away" including some co-existance issues with other monitoring systems.

Cheers

Tony
Just because you ain't paranoid - doesn't mean someone isn't trying to get you!
Darren Z
Frequent Advisor

We are running MS SQL 2000 SP4 Enterprise Edition and I still have performance issues as noted in the first post.
Tony Glynn
Frequent Advisor

But are you running it on the same box?
Just because you ain't paranoid - doesn't mean someone isn't trying to get you!
Darren Z
Frequent Advisor

Yes SIM and the SQL Server are on the same box. DL380 G3 w/ dual 3Ghz and 5 GB of RAM. Now are your saying if you seperate the SQL server and SIM that performance greatly increasing. That's great and thanks for the suggestion, but that doesn't really solve my issue. There shouldn't be a reason that you can't run both on the same server and get good/great performance. As noted above my server is hardly even utilized during tasks. I guess since it doesn't seem to hardly utilize my server then I would think you could tweak it to complete more/faster. Yes the mx processes seem to eat a lot of RAM after awhile, but my system still has a lot more resources available. I think either SIM isn't optimized to handle large amounts of servers or there mx processes are plagues with memory leaks etc. I would rather HP realize this and fix the issue or offer optimizations then using two servers for their product.