Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1752587 Members
4213 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: P2V Migration with SMP (PhysicalDisk Copy Error)

Thomas Bernadou
Occasional Advisor

P2V Migration with SMP (PhysicalDisk Copy Error)

I am attempting to migrate a physical Windows 2003 Server Std SP1 server to VMWare ESX utilising the Server Migration Pack (SMP). The process is able to start and the PhysicalDisk copy starts. At the 65% mark the throughput ramps up from 5.3MB/sec to approx 12.6 MB/sec. It is at this stage the job errors with the following:

'P2V disk copy aborted on error: ReadFile Failed Handle=2508, Error Code=0, File POS=8389885440, Amount=65536'
13 REPLIES 13
NEETI TOLIA
Frequent Advisor

Hi Thomas,

Looks like you have a system with bad sectors.

Did you try running the chkdsk and disk defragmenter on the source ? Was that successful?

This error would be seen in the case when your source disk has an unrecoverable disk read errors.
Thomas Bernadou
Occasional Advisor

Yeah ran CHKDSK and a defrag successfully, and the physicaldisk copy completed successfully. Now the job fails during Driver injection. I have installed both the MS iSCSI initiator and the VMware drivers.
NEETI TOLIA
Frequent Advisor

restart the iscsi initiator and try. If the migration still fails upload the log files wrt migration, here are the details
If the problem is with HP Server Migration Pack operations, then following log files under \log directory are required.

· HP Virtual Machine Management Pack Service Log file - hpvmmsvc.log

· HP Server Migration Pack log file - smpMigration-xxxxxxxx_xxxxxx-xxxx.xml

Note: The log file corresponding to the failed/problematic migration should be taken. The log file can be identified by the date and time appended with the xml filename.

NEETI TOLIA
Frequent Advisor

Failure in driver injection can happen due to various reasons. Ensure that

a. The disk types are supported.

b. The source physical machine has the operating system installed on the primary drive (disk drive 0), and the primary drive is loaded first in the boot order.

c. All partitions have a valid file system and are in a healthy state. Migration of unformatted or unhealthy partitions is not supported.

d. Restart the iscsi initiator service and attempt a P2V migration again.

Thomas Bernadou
Occasional Advisor

I restarted the MS iSCSI Initiator service and performed anoth P2V unsuccessfully. Attached is a section of the hpvmmsvc.log and the .xml log file from the migration performed.
Thomas Bernadou
Occasional Advisor

.xml logfile attached....Thanks
Thomas Bernadou
Occasional Advisor

I noticed within this log that there appears to be an error related to the VMMDB User Setttings....
Thomas Bernadou
Occasional Advisor

OK. The issue above was related to the lack of a SQL dB (vmm_db_v2). To resolve I had to remove the files created within the MS SQL data store and reinstall VMM Pack.

Another test of P2V failed again at driver injection. Attached is the hpvmmsvc.log

Boot order has been verified.
CHKDSK and Defrag verified.
Application services disabled.

Does migrating the physical source to a VMFS volume on the SAN mattter?

Thanks again for all you help.
Thomas Bernadou
Occasional Advisor

Attached .xml logfile from failed P2V

NOTE: ![CDATA[com.hp.mx.vmm.vmtools.grid.transport.TransportException: Driver injection in VM boot disk failed!