5993 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

P2V/SIM5//ESX2.5.2 Error: Driver Injection to VM boot disk failed

ALCS
Regular Advisor

P2V/SIM5//ESX2.5.2 Error: Driver Injection to VM boot disk failed

Hi,

I need to know if someone was successfuly tried P2V wih SIM5.0 & VMware ESX2.5.2

The source physical machine to be P2Vd is a BL20p G3 with windows 2003

VMM & licenses were installed on the ESX
SMP & licenses were installes on the BL20p
SSH, WMI & iSCSI initiator 2.0 were installed on SIM 5.0 Server.

The P2V job starts cooreclty and does create a .dsk image on the ESX server but fails with this error: Drive Injection to VM boot disk failed.
I seems that at this stage the job tries to alter the boot entries of the image so it can boot using the virtual scsi adapter of the VM

1- According VMware P2V assistant matrix, the BL20p G3 is not supported, but still I am not sure if this is the reason.

2- The iscsi initiator seems to be responsible of the driver injection, but it was installed (version 2.0)

3- I wonder if any driver should be uploaded to SIM5.0

I appreciate responses

Thanks
Farid

Keep it simple
2 REPLIES 2
Ed_178
Advisor

Re: P2V/SIM5//ESX2.5.2 Error: Driver Injection to VM boot disk failed

I encountered this problem before. What i later learned is that while doing the P2V sim stores the images on the local drive of the sim server and does some manipulation there. So you have to make sure that where ever you have SIM install tht it has enough space to handle the size of the partition you're P2V'ing plus a little extra space. Also try restating the vmm service on the SIM server, it acts funny sometimes. Hope that helps.
ALCS
Regular Advisor

Re: P2V/SIM5//ESX2.5.2 Error: Driver Injection to VM boot disk failed

Thanks Ed,
In our case, we also tried a small 1 GB (D: drive this time) and still get the error

We tried mounting the .dsk that was created (because this phase passes successfully)
as a second scsi disk to an existing VM,
we were able to see the data on it.

It is while doing this manipulation on the .dsk file to make it boot that problem occurs.

I suspect the iscsi initiator
are you intalling all of its component or the software initiator part only
do you think that v2.02 is OK
(according to SIM, they say v2.0)

I appreciate more feedback.

Thanks

Farid
Keep it simple