1752440 Members
5811 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: PMP 4.0 in SIM 5.0 Service Starts then Stops

Todd Schelin
Valued Contributor

PMP 4.0 in SIM 5.0 Service Starts then Stops

I am running SIM 5.0 and have PMP 4.0 installed as well as part of the SIM 5.0 install. The PMP service starts then immediately stops. Has anyone seen this issue? Additionally, is there a way I can log what is happening when PMP starts?
Specific error is below.
The HP Performance Management Pack service terminated unexpectedly.
22 REPLIES 22
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

I don't know of any additional logs that will help.
Check the PMP Database is accessible.

Has it ever worked?
You might want to check the hppmp.log file in C: on the HPSIM Server.
Todd Schelin
Valued Contributor

Yes it was working after it was installed.

Here are contents of hppmplog:

Starting HP Performance Management Pack Installation...
Is earlier versions of PMP found? No
Is the Operating System and Service Pack Valid? Yes
Is the screen resolution valid? Yes
Is HP SIM installed? Yes
Is PMP 4.0 already installed? No
Successfully retrieved HP SIM installation path.
Is Disk space sufficient for PMP installation? Yes
Applying PMP schema to the database.
Performing initial database population
Creating PMP Services
Stopping HP SIM service to update GlobalSettings.props file to integrate PF Column
Initializing and configuring menu structure
Updating GlobalSettings.props file...
Starting HP SIM service...
Starting PMP service...
Starting PMP Tools service...
Successfully installed PMP.
Edward Latzko_1
Occasional Advisor

Did you receive an error simular to this when starting the server "193 0cx1"? I had the same issue with my install. The resolution is this go to regedit and enclose the PathImage key in Double Quotes. The keys are as follows:

servername\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HP Performance Management Pack\
Edit the "ImagePath" key and add the double quotes at the begining and end of the path. e.g. "C:\Program Files\HP\Performance Management Pack 4\pmp.exe"

servername\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HP PMP Tools\
Edit the "ImagePath" key and add the double quotes at the begining and end of the path. e.g. "C:\Program Files\HP\Performance Management Pack 4\PMPTools\pmptools.exe"

The services will now start. It seems the path statement sometimes doesn't like spaces in the path. Hope this helps....
Todd Schelin
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the feedback on this Edward. I did as you describe and still the service will not start.

I uninstalled and re-installed PMP and still have the same problem. Is there anyway to capture what the service is doing when it is trying to start?
FrankW
Frequent Advisor

Todd did you have any further luck with this issue? I have the same problem, same messages, and have tried the same things to resolve it as you have, still no luck.
Todd Schelin
Valued Contributor

Frank, I am still having issues with PMP the services starts and now I am getting a proxy error. It is not very stable and have been getting frustrated with it.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

I was having problems with the PMP Service stopping after an update to the SQL Server backend (upgraded to SQL 2000 SP4).

You can get more info by creating a file pmplog.txt in the PMP Installation directory and then restarting PMP.

A suggestion by HP was to update my PSP on the HPSIM / PMP Server, as we were at the latest level all that was left was to update the HP SMH to the latest version. Once done , the PMP Service started okay.
Todd Schelin
Valued Contributor

I updated my server with the latest SupportPaq and am still having the same issue.

The problem I have is that the service is starting now, but after I launch PMP for Admin or Licensing it hangs and I cannot access any of the server performance analysis information. The service is running, but isn't doing much.
Todd Schelin
Valued Contributor

This is the error I get now. Anyone know or seen this error, when trying to use PMP?