HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PMP 4.1.1 Server Licensing problem

Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

PMP 4.1.1 Server Licensing problem

Hi All,
I've a Server (call it BACKUP) that has been replaced and we've retained the same name and IP Address for the new one.
This had a PMP License.
The new server has been instaleld, dicovered etc. and a new PMP License deployed to it.

But PMP will not start for it. The only information I can find is;
from pmplog.txt;
backup - State changed from 0 to 1
2006-07-17 13:20:42: backup - License Expired - Abort
2006-07-17 13:20:42: backup - Reschedule in 60 seconds
2006-07-17 13:20:42: backup - Critical Error
2006-07-17 13:20:42: backup license expired

From the License Manager screen, there is a license key allocated to the new Server, but the Seats Used is 0.
I've checked and this is definately a different key to the license previously deployed to the old server of the same name.
Any clues how to get this going?

PMP 4.1.1, HPSIM 5.0 SP5
13 REPLIES
pkrai
Trusted Contributor

Re: PMP 4.1.1 Server Licensing problem

Have you checked the type of the key, just to verify that it is not a demo license key (for 1 day) ?

Thanks.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

It is not a DEMO Key, that's a separate entry and is listed quite clearly in the Manage Keys listing.
Todd Schelin
Valued Contributor

Rob,
All of the Proliant Essentials software is licensed on a server basis. What that means is if you have a license on an existing server and get a new server and keep the same name etc. It is the same server however it does not apply to Proliant Essentials licensing. Essentials are licensed to a specific piece of hardware. That is why you only have to pay for the license once and their is no maintenance you have to pay for the life of that particular server, no matter what the name is.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Todd,
I know, I have deployed a new license to it.
I can see in the Manage keys, the licenses for the new and old versions of the server.
So, yes I have bought a new key, yes I have deployed it, but for some reason it does not get used by the new server.
The old license still shows under Manage Keys with the Seats used as 1. The license I deployed to the replacement server still shows Seats Used 0.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Rob, as you know everything is supposed to be keyed off the GUID (serial number) so there should be no impact to re-using a server name and/or IP address. I'll send along to the dev team to see if they have ideas. Might end up being one to escalate.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Thanks David.
I was starting to doubt that I'd deployed the key.
As some additional info. I can find the old Server Serial number in the Registry against a Cert folder, but not the new one.
So, somewhere the process of deploying the license has not quite completed.
V. Sundararajan
Occasional Visitor

From the information you have provided, for licensing you have gone through the License Manager->Deploy Keys. This will only assign a key to the node. At this point the node is not yet licensed with this key for PMP monitoring.

To license the server for PMP monitoring, get to the "Licensing setup Page" either through
Options->Performance Management Pack->Configuration or
Diagnose->Performance Management Pack->Online Analysis

In the "Licensing Setup Page", is this server (Backup) listed under
1. Licensed Servers
2. Servers to be Licensed
3. Servers that cannot be Licensed

It should appear under "Servers to be Licensed",
select this server and continue the licensing process.

This should license your system with the new license.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

If I try and use the Options->PMP->Configuration route, it briefly shows the license page then requests a SMH logon and then just takes me, very slowly, to the Configuration page.
When I try the Diagnose->PMP->Online Configuration I get to the license page, but this lists the server as licensed, with no entries in the loweer two screens. After a short time this screen reverts to the PMP information screen about unlicensed servers.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Rob, we've verified your report and will communicate when it's resolved.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

David,
Many thanks, any info or tests you need done let me know.
Dennis Young_1
Occasional Advisor

I'm having the same problem as Rob. Some of my servers are listed 'Seats Used = 0' and they are not showing PMP data. The ones listed as 'Seats Used = 1' are working fine for PMP data.

I have already opened a case with HP and they are esculating it up to the PMP group. If I get a sollution on how to fix, I will post it here.
pkrai
Trusted Contributor

Hi Dennis,

I think your problem is somewhat different. The server, whose 'seats used = 0', is only deployed (not allocated) with key. Deployment of key & allocation of key are different steps.

When you open online analysis page (either from menu or from PF icon) for an unlicensed server, you'll be taken to licensing page (if that server is supported), where you can allocate spare license to the server & enable that for monitoring.

Thanks.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Except that is part of the issue I see.
If you "collect" the keys I find the key is allocated to the server, but the seats used = 0.

You can't deploy a key to the server, it already has one, but you can't use the one it has.