Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1752627 Members
5451 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: PMP 4.4 configuration fails on ESX hosted Windows 2003 SP2 VMs

PMP 4.4 configuration fails on ESX hosted Windows 2003 SP2 VMs

Please see attachment.

When trying to configure PMP for use with some of my virtual machines I get the attached error trying in the details for the specific failure.

I've tried the method of disabling WBEM in the Global Protocol settings and relying solely on SNMP (configured with appropriate communities on the VMs), but without insight agents this does not seem to help.

HP SIM 5.1SP1, PMP 4.4.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Stan
6 REPLIES 6
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

I believe PMP only works on physical Servers, and only Windows ones at that.
For performance measuring data you'll either need to use the VMware offerings or get VMM for the ESX host.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

PMP might best be called Performance Management for ProLiants. The unique value of PMP is that it has a unique profile for each ProLiant server model based on data from the ProLiant benchmarking labs and can not only tell you when there is a performance issue but the reason behind it. PMP does monitor ProLiants running Windows as well as supported Linux versions and ESX...
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Ah.. I didn't know PMP supported ESX - better reread the documentation again.
But then I need to get PMP fixed here, it's still with Engineering and I haven't been able to use PMP for several months...

According to the PMP web page, PMP 4.4 supports virtualized guests, which, unless I'm reading it wrong means it can be used to track performance on virtual machines.

I've noticed VMs appear on the list for configuring PMP, so they must be inherited to some degree from their licensed host machine. I am unable, however, to generate any reports for the virtual machines as I get the above mentioned error when specifying a VM as a target.

From HP's web site:
Performance Management Pack 4.4
The latest version of PMP includes:
Support for virtualized guests in Microsoft Virtual Server, WMWare ESX and VMWare GSX
Server availability report
Configurable alert threshold settings
Support for new hardware
ProLiant servers - DL320s
Integrity: rx2660, rx2660 OFS, rx3600, rx6600
StorageWorks and storage controllers - SB40c, MSA1510i, Smart Array P800
Integrity operating system support for Microsoft Windows 2003 IA64 Enterprise SP2 and Microsoft Windows 2003 IA64 Datacenter SP1 and SP2
Database support for Oracle 10g

Performance Management Pack 4.3
The latest version of PMP includes:
Support for new ProLiant servers - DL320 G5, DL360 G5, DL365, ML310 G5, BL465c, BL485c, BL25p G2, BL45p G2
Support for new Integrity servers - rx7620, rx7649, rx8620, Superdome
Support for VMWare ESX 3.0 (host only)
Todd Schelin
Valued Contributor

Stan,
I know for a fact you have to install VMM on your ESX host and then make sure your agents are running on your ESX host. Once you have done that then you can enable licensing on your VMware ESX host and you will be able to see the PMP data you would expect to see. Those are the minimum requirements to get PMP to function on ESX.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

I've now got PMP working here. When I licensed the VMware Host Server the guests automatically appeared below. It looks like there are no additional PMP licenses for the guests.

We do have VMM as well though, so as the above poster has said you may need VMM in oder for PMP to also monitor the guests.

Still investigating PMP on the ESX Host, there does appear to be some devices missing, e.g. it's not picked up our 4 Port NIC.