Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1748031 Members
5195 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: PMP reports unreal huge Disk Queue

George Green

PMP reports unreal huge Disk Queue

PMP reports unreal disk queue lengths of tens of thousands on RAID5 array (ProLiant DL380 G4 with smart array 6i).
The monitored server is for testing perposes only, and is lazy. Standard Perfmon shows disk queue length of up to 10 during heavy copy operations.
To me this is an obvious misreporting by PMP/agents.
Please help if anyone knows the way to sort this out. Screenshot attached.
7 REPLIES 7
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

It would be useful to know the version of HPSIM / PMP and the OS and Agent versions.
The latest version of PMP is 4.0.1.

I do vaguely recall something about this, you may also want to check the Firmware level of the 6i - We're on 2.58
George Green

All HP software/firmware is the latest: SIM 5, PMP 4.0.1, SA6i firmware 2.58, HP support pack 7.40B. Everything is latest-greatest. Managed server OS is Win Svr 2003 Standard Ed.
A have several DL380 G4 servers, some of them report realistic performance data, two of them report huge disk queues.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

I don't know where PMP gets its informaton from, but there is an issue with mis-reporting some CPU and Busy I/O from the agents. Version 7.41 of the Management Agents fixes this, you could try updating to that. It certainly fixes the threshold alert problems generated by the agents.
M. vs

I am having the same symptoms on a:

ProLiant DL360 G4p
- Two 36GB 15k disks in RAID 1+0
- Agents version 7.50A
- PMP version 4.0.2
- HP SIM 5.0 SP4
- All latest HP updates (BIOS etc.)
- All latest OS updates

But with an extreme average disk queue length of 243.5 !!

The server is in installphase and has only Windows 2003 Server SP1 installed, running the Terminal Server role, doing nothing...

Thinking there might be a problem with the BBWC, I uninstalled the BBWC, but I still get majors in PMP.

All individual storagehardware (controller, disks) seem to be fine as reported bij SIM.

PMP reports this major:
"Much higher than recommended disk activity has been detected. The average disk queue is much greater than recommended(2)."

Could there be a unreported error with the SA 6i SCSI controller??
Karsten N├дckel

I have the same Problem.
My Avarage disk queue length of one server is 250.
I open a case by HP today an I am waiting for an answer.
J. Ey
Occasional Advisor

I have the same problem with all of my servers.
Servers are ML370 G2 and G3, array controller is 5i, 5i+BWCC and 641.
While the averge and maximum queue lenghts are fare too high (usually >50000) the averge read/write-operations are normally below 10/s.

I have a freshly installed HP SIM 5.0 SP2 and most current agents on the machines (PSP 7.51a).

I had the same problem last year with HP SIM 4.20. The OS of the machines are now all Windows 2003 SP1 german but were last year still Windows NT and 2000 (both german versions).

Seems to me like there is a problem with the localization of the software (maybe it interprets a queue lenght of 8,092 as 8092 and not as somewhat above 8)...

Jens
GeorgeGreen

Yes, this is a localization problem. After I reinstalled OS with ENGLISH version over the localized one, the problem was gone.

I think the bug is in HP SNMP extension: when you query a localized server by SNMP (which PMP does), you get crap instead of queue length data. While HP Agents (installed on the managed server) don't throw any warnings to the Event Log. And if you fetch the queue length data from the registry directly (HP agents save performance info to the registry too), you get reasonable data.
The bottomline: SNMP extension is buggy. And there is no simple workaround I could think of.
The sad thing is this is not the first localization bug in HP SIM products, and it ain't look like HP gonna fix 'em.