3752 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: PSP 7.40 and Symantec problem

Stephen Dance_1
Occasional Advisor

PSP 7.40 and Symantec problem

Good morning

As suggested by someone in the thread below, I'm posting this in the hope that someone in HP can answer the questions raised by it.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=974130

The problem caused by PSP 7.40 being installed on servers which have Symantec Anti Virus 9.0 on them was reported to Microsoft within a week of its release by our parent company - so far we have had no repsonse or fix. The same issue has been raised on this forum, more than once, but with no reply from anyone in HP.

Please can someone give us all an update on this issue and when we can expect a fix. I cannot contemplate installing PSP 7.40 or further suspect releases on my 150+ servers as I will then have to reinstall SAV on them as well.

Thanks
9 REPLIES 9
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Has this been reported to HP (rather than Microsoft) and do you have a case number?
Stephen Dance_1
Occasional Advisor

No I don't have the case number, it was reported by our parent company in the U.S. As its Thanksgiving it may take me until next week to track someone down who knows.

I can't believe that no one else hasn't reported it - is there any way you can you check please ?

Thanks
Rich Purvis
Honored Contributor

You are not the only one seeing this issue - it is a problem with the Diags uninstaller as described in this thread:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=957060

The issue is explained by Tom Schwartz at the bottom of the thread. He explains what the problem is and how you can work around it. The work around just requires that you save off some DLL's and copy them back after the SS7.40 Diag's is installed.

-Rich
Why does my tivo keep recording Nickelodeon?
Rich Purvis
Honored Contributor

By the way, the problem is not with the entire 7.40 PSP. It is an issue with the diags if you use Version Control you can create a custom support pack in the VCRM that contains all of the 7.40 PSP *without* the diags component in it, in fact if you go to the trouble of doing that you can replace the System Management Homepage component with a newer version that was released after SS7.40.

Anyway, the key is to leave the diags alone and then deploy the software. Then you will have updated software except for the diags but your AV software should be working. If the diags component gets updated by HP to help address this then you can deploy it later if you like. Otherwise, there are scripting ways to work around the problem but if you deploy the SS7.40 diags by working around it - it is possible that it's uninstaller has the same problem that the diags in SS7.30 had, because it was not reported until after the SS7.40 was released. If that is the case, and if you decide to ugrade again you may have to perform the work around again. That is all speculation and all of the above was just a suggestion.

-Rich
Stephen Dance_1
Occasional Advisor

Thanks - Creating a cutsom PSP and leaving out the HP Insight Diagnostics Online Edition for Windows 2000/Server 2003 update works, allowing the rest of PSP 7.40 to install OK

Some further playing revealed that deleting the
cp005414.exe
line from bp000247.xml in the original PSP, also allows it to install

I've been promised the case no from our U.S. colleagues, but so far I've not received it.

STEVE
James Kennedy_4
Trusted Contributor

At some point in the next 5 years, we probably would want to upgrade the Diagnostic Agents, so a real fix would be nice.
Rich Purvis
Honored Contributor

Steve,
If you are going to deploy the SS7.40 PSP, I would encourage you to consider getting the latest System Management Homepage component and not install the one that came with SS7.40 PSP. For servers that have multiple IP addresses the SMH in SS7.40 PSP has an issue where it will only bind to one IP address, it can become *inconvenient* if the IP address it binds to is not the one you expect. FYI,

-Rich
Stephen Dance_1
Occasional Advisor

Yes, I did substitute the latest Homepage update into the custom PSP - thanks

I agree - a real fix is still needed. We've all far too many more important tasks to get on with rather than messing around like this every time a new PSP comes out

STEVE
D. Escoin

Now referenced by HP:

Document ID: c00578151 - Advisory: Some Software Applications May Fail to Start on ProLiant Servers After Upgrading Insight Diagnostics Online Edition for Windows from Version 7.0.1 to Version 7.4.0
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c00578151

Regards

Didier