1752728 Members
5881 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

PSP 7.50A = headaches

James Kennedy_4
Trusted Contributor

PSP 7.50A = headaches

PSP 7.50 has so far been a hassel, more specifically on Windows 2003 servers.

SMHP does not always upgrade properly. When this happens, you end up with a previous version of the SMHP, and when you try again to upgrade to version 2.1.5.146B it says its already installed. Going through the manual removal process of SMHP is a tough battle of some files that are in use. If you finally get it removed and install the new version, it installs fine, but when you go to the SMHP, the page is empty!!!

The HP Network Configuration Utility 8.35 that comes in PSP 7.5 has some really funky issue. If you try to set "NFT with preferential order", you will get this error EVERY TIME on EVERY SERVER (2003 servers):

"An error occured when making a call to the Operating System"

and the hpqteam.exe will crash.

I'm also dealing now with servers starting up slowly, and sometimes not shutting down properly. But I won't point finger at PSP 7.50, until i have proof.

Sorry if I sound frustrated.. but it's a been a long week. PSP 7.30 was a good solid release.
8 REPLIES 8
Rich Purvis
Honored Contributor

Re: PSP 7.50A = headaches

Did you try using the "force" option on the SMH install? In the future if you have problems installing, and for some reason the installer believes it is already installed then the force option should cause it to reinstall.

The only reasons for the SMH page to be empty would be no active web apps contributing to it - or some sort of SMH timeout, if the timout is occurring then the SMH log should have log entries indicating what applications are causing the timeout.

I am not familiar with the NIC teaming software so I can't really comment on the issues you are seeing with that. Sorry to hear that you are experiencing trouble, I can understand the frustration.

-Rich
Why does my tivo keep recording Nickelodeon?
Roy Love
Advisor

For the record, the HP Network Configuration Utility 8.35 has issues and often does not completly install. I've had to completely Smart Start a server to recover. The force install option does not correct the issues with the Utility.

Roy
James Kennedy_4
Trusted Contributor

The /force option does not work with SMH, it would be nice if it did.
James Kennedy_4
Trusted Contributor

I just noticed that PSP 7.51A came out today. Looks like there's a new version of the "HP Network Configuration Utility" with it. version 8.37

Getting it know, hope this fixes the bugs..
Gary Connolly_1
Advisor

James,

I'm having the same problem. I have tried upgrading 7.50 to 7.51 and I ended up getting a BSOD for my trouble.
I was upgrading remotely and the trouble started installing the NIC drivers. What I ended up doing was breaking the team , uninstalling the NIC drivers in the device mgr + re-scanning)
copying the PSP onto the server and running it again, after a sucessful install I recreated the team B4 rebooting -

I was installing on a DL380 G4
My teaaming was set to automatic(recommended)

Disaster.
James Kennedy_4
Trusted Contributor

Gary,

I've been down that road more than a few times. Between upgrading the NIC drivers or upgrading the team software; sometimes it just breaks everything.

The only way out is to try and break the team, and remove the NICS and then rediscover them, and recreate the team. Can be difficult when you are remote. ILOs have saved my ass more than a few times.
Gary Connolly_1
Advisor

James,

I just tried anoher update method, I was updating a DL 380 G4 through the VC agent with the force option, worked fine.

regards,
gary
Jim Miller
Frequent Advisor