HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PSP SLES10 - Build RPMs for unknown kernel

SOLVED
Go to solution
Maurice_Burrows
Occasional Visitor

PSP SLES10 - Build RPMs for unknown kernel

Hi,

Whilst I understand the need for kernel source/symbols, gcc etc to be installed to compile drivers etc in the PSP, this is in breach of our security requirements and apart from that I'm not keen to push out an extra +200MB of code to 250 servers over slow links.

What I'd like to do is recompile against the required kernel and have RPMs built that can then be pushed out to the servers. This will negate the need for kernel source on production boxes which meets our security requirement and bandwidth limitations.

Without wanting to re-engineer the PSP install scripts to any great degree has anyone ventured down this path?

Ideally, it would be nice if the PSP install script had a --buildrpm option.

Cheers
--Maurice--
4 REPLIES
David Claypool
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: PSP SLES10 - Build RPMs for unknown kernel

'hprsm' should be the only package that needs to be rebuilt. The PSP has a script at /opt/compaq/hprsm/etc/rebuild to accomplish that and output an RPM that can be redistributed. Complete details start on page 26 of 'Managing ProLiant Servers with Linux' from www.hp.com/go/proliantlinux --> ProLiant + Linux Documentation
Maurice_Burrows
Occasional Visitor

Thanks David, that helps with the agents which is great.

Still have the issue where drivers need to be compiled and packaged for Smartarray and iLO for example.

If I need to manually compile and package RPMs for distribution so be it, it would be significantly easier and quicker if there was an option with the PSP install to just build RPMS and not install. This would allow me to write much simpler procedural doco for the ops bods.

Cheers
--Maurice--

David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Maurice, /opt/compaq/hprsm/etc/rebuild is a single step that outputs a new RPM that you then can re-distribute. hprsm is for iLO.

You should have no issue with SmartArray drivers; the 'cciss' package is distributed with SLES10.
Maurice_Burrows
Occasional Visitor

Cool, thanks David.