Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1748194 Members
4296 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Performing Inline upgrade of HP SIM v6 to v7.4 ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Server-Support
Super Advisor

Performing Inline upgrade of HP SIM v6 to v7.4 ?

Hi,

I've got the older version of HP SIM that is running on an old DL 380 G5 server with the following version:

Version:  Systems Insight Manager 6.3 - Windows 
Build version:  C.06.03.00.00 
Build date:  2011-03-28 22:02 

Windows Server 2008 R2 Std. No SP.

SQL Server 2008 Standard SP1 (same server)

what I'd like to do is to upgrade the server firmware with HP SPP 2015.04 and also upgrade all of the software components into below:

Version: Systems Insight Manager 7.4 - Windows

Windows Server 2008 R2 Std. SP1.

SQL Server 2012 Standard SP2 (Different Server)

Can I do the inline upgrade by running the latest HP SIM v7.4 setup wizard ?

If anyone know the Step by steps or the official KB article to do the above upgrade and Database migration, please sahre it here.

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,
9 REPLIES 9
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello again,

The 6.3 can not be updated with the installer, i would recommend to export all objects, install a new server if that's an option and run a clean install. Then import the objects. This can be done by splitting the object beforehand in types like Onboard Administrators, ILOs and Operating Systems. Installing on the same server is also an option but if you need the SIM server you could run out of time depending on how fast you can rebuild your SIM server.

Kind regards,

Andrew
Server-Support
Super Advisor

Ah I see, this is an old server legacy of my predecessor which was left behind.

So I guess I'll just create from scratch and then start from fresh.
Best regards,
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Yes,

And depending on the server you can migrate this setup to a virtual to secure operations for now. Then build the server from scratch. Depending on the size of your server farm you could consider running SIM on a virtual server. Only if you run it on a virtual you could run into performance issues, this all depends on sizing.

What is the size of your environment ? A simple export can be done commandline using commandline tools :

mxnode -ln > d:\list.txt

Then you have an unsorted list of your objects, if you have enclosures, blades DL server etc. you should export per type and use the export to fill the new setup.

Kind regards,

Andrew
Server-Support
Super Advisor

Hi Andrew,

Is there any KB article or steps to perform the export for those type of hardware model ?

Best regards,
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

I can tell you or you could update to inbetween versions, or i can write a small manual here with the steps to take to export the objects. The disadvantage to migrating from version to version you will end up with database query problems. This is not a problem if you use SIM for monitoring purposes only. If you use sim to run the buildin reports you will run into query errors.

Let me know wich you prefer...

Kind regards,

Andrew
Server-Support
Super Advisor

Andrew, thanks for the very thorough assistance and help here,

so yes, I'd like to perform the Export of the object so that I can still use the HP SIM to run the buildin report. So I guess, there is no need to perform the migration from version to version like you said.

Let us know here what the proper steps to export each of the object that you mean so that it can be imported safely to the new running instance of HP SIM v7.4 on SQL 2012.

Best regards,
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello again,

I will write this small manual and post it here tomorrow.

Kind regards,

Andrew
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor
Solution

First when you are in SIM, look at the System and Event Collections field and click on Customize.
Now choose New, Choose members by attribute, this could take a while depending on the speed of your setup.

Now click your query : where system type is Management Processor and product name contains 7000. If you also have 3000 series enclosures add these also. Now click the View button and you will see all the objects that match the query.

Select all object and choose Reports from the menu. Here you choose New Report > Next and now unfold General > Inventory > IP Adress. Select CSV as your format and Run Report. Save this file somewhere on the local disk and edit it so that you only have the IP addresses without the quotes. Repeat this for you OS flavours like ESX, Windows, Redhat etc. You can create these lists with a collection that looks like operating system contains Windows. (or Red or ESX..)

Write down your credentials like SNMP, WBEM, Sign-in. 

Now you can create an export of the total number of objects just as a failsave. Run from the commandprompt mxexport.exe -ln > c:\totalexport.txt. Now you have an export of all objects. When the new SIM setup is installed you should begin with the Onboard Admins, the Onboard Admin adds the ILO's and the servers as serialnumbers. Add credentials under the global settings or in the discovery jobs. Wether you choose to put your credentials in the global settings or on the discovery jobs depends on wether you want to discover ESX only with ESX credentials, Windows only with Windows credentials etc. 

If you put your credentials in the global settings all objects wil be tried with all credentials. this should work but someone in your IT department might not be happy when you spamm the security logs with fail logons on the objects you try to discover. Depending on your further demands additional things could be disabled like SSH or WSman, this depends if you have credentials for these protocols. In my case i also changed the default SIM settings to prevent virtuals to be added to SIM. I believe SIM should only monitor hardware so i do add the ESX but not the virtuals. You can also set diskspace treshholds but i use an other tool for that. 

If all servers are added you have to configure the traps and subscriptions to receive events. If the server is the same server the SNMP part should be fine, WBEM should be set just to be sure. Select your servers go to Options > Events > Subscribe to WBEM Events. You could also make this a sheduled job once a week depending on the changes in SIM for adding new servers. You can also create baselines but i will write that part if someone requests that.

Kind regards,

Andrew
Server-Support
Super Advisor

You are awesome Andrew !

Best regards,