Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre reqs for an Insight Manager Client

daniel eason
Occasional Contributor

Pre reqs for an Insight Manager Client

Hi,

I have installed Systems Insight manager, but i only have a few clients appearing with the OS and Server Model Number.

Can give me a definative list of what is needed on the client? I have deployed SNMP and put the SIM server as a Trap host without any luck.

Thanks
4 REPLIES
Preston Gallwas
Valued Contributor

Re: Pre reqs for an Insight Manager Client

What are you trying to monitor? If they are HP servers you can install the insight agents. If not, you'll have to make sure HP SIM has the SNMP Mibs registered (with defined traps)

As an example, the ProCurve mibs you can download do not contain trap definitions, so you can't get traps from them. You can do basic "Monitoring" with "ping" using it, however.
daniel eason
Occasional Contributor

Hi preston,

I have all of this on my servers, Ive run a script with SMS to deploy SNMP on the servers, ive deployed the "TRAP destination" and community name as my specified SNMP name and this is the same on the SIM server.

It also has insight managment agent 7.30 not 7.40 so will update this.

Lastly this is a blade I am testing this on so could this be the reason? maybe isnt classed as a "server" but comes part of a chassis in SIM.

Dan
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

The Agents can be configured before deployment. This can include the Trust mechanism. Iff trust By Certificate is used the HPSIM Servers trust certificate is loaded into the agent.

How you build the Servers can affect what'sthere, using Smart Start you'll get SNMP and the agents installed.

SNMP also needs to be correct, you need community names set up and access allowed to the HPSIM Server.

You can also disable discovery filters so that all devices in the range you've set for HPSIM to use will be discovered and displayed.
daniel eason
Occasional Contributor

thanks, i have built most of my servers using RIS so the agents wont be on there automatically i install them once the base OS has been deployed.