7710 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Predictive failure - no snmp trap

sdb_2
Regular Advisor

Predictive failure - no snmp trap

Hi,

We have a system which reports "Predictive failureтАЭ state for a disk in the System Management Homepage. HPSIM also reports a тАЬwarningтАЭ state for this server, but we didnтАЩt receive any alert from it.
Hpvca, hp-health, hp-snmp-agents, hpsmhd and hp-smh-templates are installed on the system:

#; rpm -qa | grep hp
hpvca-6.1.0-5
hpsmh-6.1.0-103
hp-smh-templates-8.3.0.9-13
hp-health-8.4.0.36-32
hp-snmp-agents-8.4.0.30-29

SNMP is also configured to send traps to the hpsim server. This has been working in the past so configuration should be correct.
Although, we still didnтАЩt receive any alert for the тАЬpredicitive failureтАЭ state of the disk.

Has anyone seen this problem before? How can I test if we receive any alerts from the server (without rebooting it...)

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
BPE
Esteemed Contributor

Did you send a test trap from the SMH ->Setting->snmp page of your sever?

Perhaps you had a security change on your system during an OS update or patch.

If you do not get trap inside SIM
check the SMH log file for some hints.
sdb_2
Regular Advisor

sudo is not configged on this server, so sending a test trap doesn't seem to be possible...
Can I check if the server tried to send an snmp trap indicating the "predictive failure" problem?
BPE
Esteemed Contributor

Have you tried a low threshold value for the disk space?

I do not think that the traps work if sudo is not configured.

If you have also IRSA configured I would open a service call at HP. If SIM and monitored system should have warranty or a service contract you can open a HW call on the topic RSP/ Support Tools.

sdb_2
Regular Advisor

Ok, we installed the snmptrap tool and that way sent a test message to the hpsim server. This works so there seems to be no problem with the snmp communication.
Problem here seems to be the severity of the "predicitive failure" state.
Does anyone know if it's possible to change te severity so an snmp trap will be sent when this predictive failure state occurs?
sdb_2
Regular Advisor

Solved!
We had to adjust the "#trapIf eth0" line in the /opt/hp/hp-snmp-agents/cma.conf config file.
When a server has more than 1 interface from where it sends snmp packets, you have to specify which interface the hp-snmp-agents should use to send snmp packets from.
sdb_2
Regular Advisor

see solution above