1753809 Members
8593 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Preventing name changes ?

Mikael R├╢nnb├дck
Super Advisor

Preventing name changes ?

If I go into the properties on any of the managed servers in SIM I get an option to edit system properties. In this edit menu there's an option to not allow discovery or data collection tasks to change the servers name.

Since I am having a big problem with my servers changing names all the times (just in SIM that is, the actual server name never changes) I was wondering if anyone had looked at this and maybe knew if it could be set globally instead of doing it one by one by one server endlessly ?
2 REPLIES 2
Craig McK
Trusted Contributor

Re: Preventing name changes ?

Hi Mikael,

I take it the CMS is still picking up the alias CName addresses for your servers?
I was having a look at this as we have a similar problem - my resolution was to only have a in-addr.arpa pointer to the true server name.
When our CName addresses were created the option to create an associated pointer (PTR) address was selected, so doing a reverse lookup on the IP address would display either the CName or the A record name.
No app we had would need to reverse-lookup the CName, it would only be for simplifying resolution so this pointer was removed & the CMS now resolves addresses correctly.
Mikael R├╢nnb├дck
Super Advisor

Re: Preventing name changes ?

Yes that is correct, unfortunately we do have some applications that uses reverse lookups so we define that as well. I was more of hoping this parameter (see image) could be defined globally instead of per object :)