1753524 Members
5412 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problem on installing HPSIM on a new server

Anthony Chee
Occasional Contributor

Problem on installing HPSIM on a new server

I have a DL380 G4 server and want to install HPSIM on it for monitoring. What I did is as following

1. Install Windows 2k3 Std Edition
2. Install SP1
3. Preform Windows Update to update all patches
4. Install PSP v7.2
5. Install MSSQL 2000 (Client Only, for MSDE management)
6. Execute HPSIM installation, let it install MSDE by default

It then stops responding at "Install HP SIM services". I checked there is no database created for HP SIM at this stage, and the service "HP System Insight Management" is installed. I also checked the MSDE log and found that "Startup database hpsim0". That's what I faced, and how can I sucessfully install HPSIM? Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
Anthony Chee
Occasional Contributor

I attach the picture as following
David Latorre
Advisor

Hi, Anthony.

I├В┬┤m having the same problem. I have tried installing and re-installing HPSIM in several ways and always happens the same.

Today I found the PATH variable was full because of HPSIM (another program I was installing told me it was too long and it couldn├В┬┤t add any more). I tried removing all the innecessary stuff HPSIM had left in my previous tries but it hasn├В┬┤t worked yet.

Nevertheless, the error message is now different. Before, it never ended and I had to stop it, with an "unspecified error" reporting by the HPSIM installation program. Now, it stops by itself with the error "Database initialization failed". Maybe there is some more stuff HPSIM didn├В┬┤t remove from previous installations...

I├В┬┤ll keep looking into...

Please, tell me if you find out anything else

Thanks

David
David Latorre
Advisor

OK, it seems it finally did work!!

Try cleaning the PATH var and enabling "named pipes" and "TCP/IP" in the network config of MSDE.

Good luck

David

Anthony Chee
Occasional Contributor

I also found that the PATH variable of my machine is also a mess. I will try to clear the PATH variable and preform in-place upgrade (I am using IM7 SP2 now)