7134 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problem with HP SIM SQL Install.

Hanr├й Van Rensburg
Occasional Advisor

Problem with HP SIM SQL Install.

Hi,

Everytime I try to install SIM and get to the DBase Config page the install fails with error "Unable to get information from the specified database server."

I've installed SQL Express 2005 SP2 locally on the same machine I'm trying to install SIM on and enabled Named Pipes & TCP/IP connections to it. I'm configuring SIM to use the 'sa' SQL credentials but it just pops back with this error everytime.

Is there some other configuration change I need to make to SQL before I can install SIM on this machine?

Cheers!
19 REPLIES 19
May_11
Advisor

May be check the local ODBC->System DSN-> insight_v**** Configuration to see either it is matching your setting.
Hanr├й Van Rensburg
Occasional Advisor

There is no data source with that value there. There's only 2 data sources that both correspond to the SQL Backup Agents installed on the server.
May_11
Advisor

If you don't mind either using 'sa' SQL authentication or Window NT authentication for SIM db, just change to Windows network login credentials. Or reinstall SQL express 2005 via SIM package which will configuring everything (Window NT login) for SIM db connnection. Hope it's helps.
Ervinck Kevin
Valued Contributor

Be sure you have a standard SQL Server Express 2005 SP2 installation. Don't even think about changing the collation.
One chance you have in solving this problem is to try to use Windows Authentication instead of the sa account.
Hanr├й Van Rensburg
Occasional Advisor

I have changed to just Windows authentication, it was mixed before with still no luck.

The SQL install is standard, I just ran the installation with all default parameters checked and then started the SIM install.

Any more ideas anyone?
May_11
Advisor

Probably check the windows firewall settings.
Hope it's helps.
James Kennedy_4
Trusted Contributor

make sure you don't specify a database name when installing. Leave it as 'master'.
Hanr├й Van Rensburg
Occasional Advisor

Windows Firewall is disabled and I'm leaving all default SQL settings.

I get the error:

Install Shell - Unable to get information from the specified database server.
Cristian Hasler
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

You must enable the "SQL Browser Service" for the SQL 2005 Express server.