5517 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Problems with SIM5.1 remote support pack registration

Jared Hedman_2
Advisor

Problems with SIM5.1 remote support pack registration

All,

I am currently trying to configure the HP remote support pack and running into an issue. everything seems to go fine, it passes through all the steps without issue until it get to the registration phase. That's where it fails.

I have attached the registration log from the app but I can't seem to find anything usefull. Our firewall isn't blocking anything from the management server near as I can tell from the firewall logs. Are there some specific ports from the Internet that need to be opened or would I have to NAT to the Management server? Please help, this product has been a pain to get running.
18 REPLIES 18
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: Problems with SIM5.1 remote support pack registration

Do you have a proxy?
Perhaps one that needs authentication?

It does seem to be an issue with getting through to the outside world.
Jared Hedman_2
Advisor

thank you and yes we do have a proxy, but we don't require the use of the proxy. I would think that if it can pass the communication step, that isn't truly the issue. Of course I could be wrong.

Any more thoughts? thanks.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Your infrastructure may be wanting the connection to go via the proxy.
If you don't need authentication then you just need the address of the proxy server, or external gateway and the port to use in the proxy settings for RSM.
Gary Thacker
Occasional Advisor

Jared,

Have you made any progress on this? I am running into the same problem. Does anyone know what port(s) RSM uses for the communication to HP's database? Does the HP SIM box only need outbound 443 allowed?
Jared Hedman_2
Advisor

Oddly enough, I think I've run into another issue. It appears as though (and I haven't received difinitive proof from HP on this) but it appears as though for Remote Support to work, SIM and Remote Support have to both be installed on an HP server. This really aggravates me as we have had SIM running on a utility server (which happens to be an IBM) for years. But I think this is why our registration fails everytime is because the process is trying to register a specific HP box (using a serial#) with HP. Of course since it's an IBM, that would fail.

Please anyone tell me if I'm wrong here but that is just plain stupid if it's true. We have hundreds of HP's that we'd like to monitor with this app but we can't because the apps on an IBM. GRRRRRR
Gary Thacker
Occasional Advisor

Well, I am running it on VM so I am going to try and install it on an HP Proliant (real) server and I'll let you know.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

My understanding is that there are restrictions about where RSM can run. It needs to be a physical server and I'd guess also an HP one.

I can't lay my hands on where I read this, but there I'm pretty sure Virtual Servers can run HPSIM, but not RSM.
Jared Hedman_2
Advisor

Yeah, I'm assuming this is the deal. It must try to register using data from the HP server, thus the reason it needs to have Systems Management Homepage installed to get info from the hardware.

Pretty crappy if you ask me. All it does is forward SNMP events and data from servers, why does it have to live on a physical HP? Oh well, seems like the direction HP is going these days.

I've had this confirmed by two techs now at HP (although they generally blame it on something like a virtual server or some other brands hardware). Good luck... For now we won't be using RSM.

Oh and it wasn't clear in the documenation as far as I could see.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

If you look at the pre-requisites for in chapter 9 of the following document there are a number of must haves. And neither Virtual or Servers from other vendors would match up.

http://docs.hp.com/en/418812-002/418812-002.pdf