1748178 Members
4233 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Product ID from SNMP

Russell Teague
Occasional Advisor

Product ID from SNMP

I have been trying to retrieve the Product ID from systems through SNMP but have not been having any luck. I've been using the OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.232.2.2.2.6 (from cpqsinfo.mib) but get nothing. I'm able to get the serial number and asset tag from the other items in this same tree with no issue. The comment in the MIB states that "The string will be empty if the system does not support the product id." I tried this on a new DL380 G4, still nothing. Is there any other way (another mib location) to pull the Product ID from the system?
4 REPLIES 4
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Try using 1.3.6.1.4.1.232.2.2.4.2.0
Russell Teague
Occasional Advisor

I'm already pulling 1.3.6.1.4.1.232.2.2.4.2.0 which provides the ProductName like 'ProLiant DL380 G4'. I'm trying to get ProductID since the same model can have multiple ProductID's. There is also 1.3.6.1.4.1.232.2.2.4.1.0 which is another MIB item I found for ProductID but I only ever get '127' which based on the MIB notes indicates the ProductID could not be determined. I've seen in the RBSU that the ProductID is listed so it seems that this capability should be available.
Tandyn Lippert

I also need a way to programatically get the Product IDs without having to physically visit the box and read if off the label.

This information is required to get Warranty Status and to purchase extended support beyond the 3 year warranty.

It's a huge inconvenience reading it off the server, especially when they are at remote sites, or are in a rack where you have to slide the server out (i.e. downtime) to read the label.

I need to be able to do this on NetServers as well as ProLiants.
Neal Bowman
Respected Contributor

I think the product ID tag was only recently introduced and may not be available in anything older than G4 family.

I am able to grab Product ID from within SIM by running a report against the list of servers and specifying the Product ID as one of the fields to report on.

Neal