108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Proliant ML350 G6 - HP SMH + VCRM timeout - huge memory use spike

SOLVED
Go to solution
KubaL
Frequent Advisor

Proliant ML350 G6 - HP SMH + VCRM timeout - huge memory use spike

I need some help. HPSMH stopped working locally on our Proliant ML350 G6 (GC) hosting also VCRM. tried updating agent, homepage and repository to latest versions (7.2) but it only got things worse, now also other servers' SMH cannot connect to VCRM (worked before).

I observe the same problem, not sure when it started, but seems with an update of VCRM to version 7.1. SMH times out and doesn't even allow me to see VC agent or VCRM on host server locally. that timeout is accompanied by a huge RAM usage spike from regular ~5GB up to max it has (12GB), see the screen shot below.

HPSMH-VCRM timeout RAM use.jpg

Also, now remote servers accessing the VCRM see it's always busy or sometimes unavailable at all (like it didn't exist). VCRM is allowed in firewall exceptions, also since the problem occurs locally on host server I assume firewall isue is not a problem here.

Also I cannot restart the HP VCRM service, because it always hangs on stopping and server needs restarting to get it functional (Started).

does anybody know how to fix it? what is going on here? it used to work perfectly fine and fast in past...

7 REPLIES 7
Aasim
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: Proliant ML350 G6 - HP SMH + VCRM timeout - huge memory use spike

HI Jakub

> Firstly try stopping HP VCA (version control agent service)

> Now try stopping VCRM service, if it stops responding again restart the server

> After stopping VCRM service, uninstall VCRM from control panel

> Delete the VCRM from registry (HEKY localmachine/Software/Hewlettpackard/VersionControl)

NOTE: Make sure backup registry before deleting any option

> Install the VCRM package again

> Without starting VCA (version control agent service) start only VCRM service

> restart SMH service

> Now open SMH and check if it still times out or not

I work for HPEAccept or Kudo
KubaL
Frequent Advisor

@Aasimwrote:

HI Jakub

> Firstly try stopping HP VCA (version control agent service)

> Now try stopping VCRM service, if it stops responding again restart the server

> After stopping VCRM service, uninstall VCRM from control panel

> Delete the VCRM from registry (HEKY localmachine/Software/Hewlettpackard/VersionControl)

NOTE: Make sure backup registry before deleting any option

> Install the VCRM package again

> Without starting VCA (version control agent service) start only VCRM service

> restart SMH service

> Now open SMH and check if it still times out or not

thanks for chiming in!

I performed the steps to the letter and it worked without hiccups.

right now, I have VCA disabled and SMH runs normally, no timeout, no RAM usage spike.

should I just start VCA now or it needs re-installing to?

Aasim
HPE Pro

That's good
As VCA service is already stopped now
Try uninstalling the VCA and reinstall VCA again
Start the VCA service and check.

I work for HPEAccept or Kudo
KubaL
Frequent Advisor

tried starting the existing VCA, opened SMH and same timeout and RAM usage spike (from 4.5GB usage up to max 12GB) happened. remote servers are seeing VCRM as Busy right now, but I guess it's indexing repository files maybe?

stopped local VCA service (took a while) on our ML350 G6, uninstalled VCA, installed the same latest version 7.20 and it seems to be working without timeout this time. weird.

anyways, VCRM status has been "Busy" since a while.
KubaL
Frequent Advisor

I accepted the post with VCRM re-install steps as solution, however I think it's the conjunction of this with re-installation of VCA that fixed memory leak problem and timeouts.

right now, the VCRM is re-scanning Catalog, will post back when it comes back online (no longer Busy), hopefully it does finally ...
KubaL
Frequent Advisor

yes, it's a success! thanks for assistance Aasim! VCRM and VCA now both operate normally and again the repository is normally accessible. case solved. have a nice weekend!
KevinTaylor
Visitor

DL380G7 Win2k8R2x64- similar problem with HPVC v7.1.2 & 7.2.2, RAM usage was 6GB, clean reinstall v7.2.2 RAM now 90MB, HP VC slow but works. Experienced same problem on other machines with HPVC, can't HP get this s/w right?
Kevin Taylor