108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Question from HP Engineering team

SOLVED
Go to solution
Brad Klein
Advisor

Question from HP Engineering team

We are looking at different technologies that can be used in producing web-based management applications for system administration and some of them require browser plugins. We would like to get some information from you related to the prevalence of Adobe Flash plugins on administrator's browsers.

1. Do you currently have the Flash plugin loaded in the browser you use for system administration? If not, why not?

2. Are there policies at your workplace that prohibit the installation of the Flash plugin (or plugins in general)? (please elaborate)

Thank you for any insights you provide.
15 REPLIES 15
Chris Finn
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Re: Question from HP Engineering team

Answers:

1. I do have the Flash plugin loaded

2. No policies that I'm aware of as of yet, but I'm new here...

-chris
Rancher
Honored Contributor

If you are referring to the Shockwave Flash Object, ActiveX control, then yes, I have it installed on my station. There are no policies in my workplace prohibiting the installation of plugins.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

1. Yes - Various plugins installed.
2. No policies at this point to prevent any specific plugins.

Would rather keep browser & OS independence - so Active X not ideal.

Java seems to be ever present but the various flavours / dependencies can be a pain.
Jason Rackle
Advisor

The shop I am in has very tight network and access controls on every desktop (thin client). Management of servers is thus not possible except via an RDP session into dedicated management servers. Tools, ActiveX Controls, programs, etc are installed onto these management servers on a "as needed" basis.

I do not believe the Adobe tools are installed but we could always install them if need be. :-)
L Davis
Advisor

1. Yes.
2. No policies here that restrict us.

Cheerio.

Leon.
Neysters, Lutz
Frequent Advisor

1. No. I didn't need it until now, because with this PC and its browser I keep to business, only intranet and sites inside our customer's network.

2. No.

I still would like to keep SIM as browser & OS independent as possible (like Rob mentioned). It is annoying enough I can't have a look at disk thresholds if I open the SMH directly from the server monitored - because of the lack of Java.
Larry Shaw
Frequent Advisor

1. Yes

2. No, in fact we use Flash for some internal applications and have it on most workstations.
Astro2
Frequent Advisor

1. Yes
2. No

Regards
Dmitri Manushin
Advisor

1. Yes
2. No