Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about licensing VMM

NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Questions about licensing VMM

Hello,

I have a few questions about licensing the Virtaul Machine Management pack:

1) Do I need to assign a license to both the ESX host and all virtual machines running on those hosts? Or can I license just the hosts?

2) If the answer to number 1 above is both, do I use the same license types? Or is there a seperate license for the hosts as there is for the virtual machines?

3) I see in SIM, I have 10 free licenses. There are called "Virtual Machine Management ( License version 1 )". What does version 1 mean and is that limiting in some way?

4) Can I use those 10 free licenses to license just the hosts?

5) If I license just the hosts, and not the VMs, what does that give me? Does it at least provide VM-to-host association in SIM, or do I need license both for this to happen?

Sorry for the many questions.
Nelson
4 REPLIES
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: Questions about licensing VMM

Nelson,
VMM licenses apply just to the Host. All the VMs are then seen and available to VMM.
Make sure you get the latest ReadMe as getting the ESX Host licensed and registered is not always straightforward, there's also a certificate you need to install on the host.

Not sure about the free licenses, I know the licensing did change when we moved from VMM 2 to VMM 3, but not sure if it impacts you. Try licensing a host I guess.

You will get VM to Host mapping.
Another feature if you use PMP, you add the ESX Host to PMP and you then get PMP in a basic form for the guests.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Just a follow up, my licenses show as Version 1, I don't see any loss in what I can do.
My free licenses are demo licenses with a 60 day expiry.
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the information :)
Nelson
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

False alarm - SHM was installed after all.