5823 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

RHEL 5 System Management Homepage timeout error

Michael Ward_2
Occasional Advisor

RHEL 5 System Management Homepage timeout error

Hi,

I've recently installed Proliant Support Pack 8.20 x86_64 to three HP DL380 G5 servers.

The install process seems to complete ok, a few components fail due to missing dependencies (which I don't think is anything important, e.g. NIC driver).

However, all three servers are exhibiting the same problem. When I log onto the SMH, after about 20 secs I get the error:

"A timeout occurred while loading data for the HP System Management Homepage which may result in missing or incomplete information. See the HP System Management Homepage log for additional information."

The page then loads with system status ok, but without the individual agent information.

The log has this entry:
4 1245034247 5001 20 Nav Load Time: 234s [breakdown: hmaserv(HP Server Agent): 228s || hmastor(HP Storage Agent): 0s || vcagent(HP Version Control A
gent): 6s || webagent(HP Foundation Agent): 0s || elm(backwards compatibility): 0s]

Which appears to indicate the HP Server Agent is causing the problem?

I've been looking at other forum posts and tried things like disabling the VCAgent to no avail. A lot of those posts seem to be for much earlier versions and don't apply.

I've also run the 'configure or repair agents' option from HPSIM to ensure the snmp settings are set correctly.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem is and how I can resolve it?

Thanks
Michael
1 REPLY 1
Michael Ward_2
Occasional Advisor

Re: RHEL 5 System Management Homepage timeout error

And now I get to answer my own question... one of my clever colleagues has managed to resolve this!

Turns out the problem was that by default, /etc/hosts.deny was configured to deny everything, but /etc/hosts.allow wasn't configured to allow snmp.

So the fix was as simple as adding:
snmpd: 127.0.0.1 192.168.1.25

to the hosts.allow file (where 192.168.1.25 is the IP address of the HPSIM server).

Hope this helps others experiencing the same problem.