5323 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

Random warning icon

Simkill
Occasional Advisor

Random warning icon

Hi all,

I'm getting an error icon on two of my servers. They are identical Proliant GL380 G7 machines with Windows 2008 R2 installed on them, both with WBEM and SNMP installed (I know that's not best practice, I didn't know at the time of installing) and I appear to be getting warning icons for no reason. I had this before which was fixed by turning off SNMP passthrough on the ILO interfaces on some G6 boxes, but I've done that on these and it hasn't made any difference. Any advice would be great!

Please find attached image. I have cleared all logs I can find, including the logs on the ILO and in HP SIM. Any advice on removing this rouge warning would be great.

By the way, when logging into the hp management page locally on the systems, everything is green (WBEM data source) with no warnings. I have also disabled all unused network cards on the systems.

10 REPLIES 10
shocko
Honored Contributor

Re: Random warning icon

What version of SIM? Also, what is your hardware polling frequency?

If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)
Simkill
Occasional Advisor

HP SIM version is 7.0 and I have 2 hardware polling jobs run every minute, offset from each other by 30 seconds. I know its a bit much, but I like to know as soon as anything goes wrong!

shocko
Honored Contributor

Therin may lie the issue! I have had issues before when polling tasks were runnign that frequently. I'm curious as to why you run them so frequently? When issues are detected at the server, they should send an SNMP trap or WBEM indication and this should be actioned on immedtaely at SIM regardless of the polling interval.

Simkill
Occasional Advisor

Well, if it does it can't do a very good job. I found we had a dead PSU yesterday on a managed system and as far as HP SIM was concerned there were no issues, even with the polling frequency. I don't know why it didn't pick it up?

The reason I have set the polling frequently, originally I was rebooting servers and HP SIM wasn't notifying me they had gone down so I upped the frequency and it started reporting as expected.

shocko
Honored Contributor

Do you also have your iLO cards set up to send traps?

Simkill
Occasional Advisor

SNMP alerts are turned on, but I don't believe I recall subscribing to any iLO interfaces for SNMP as I wasn't aware I needed to.

Edit: On subscribing to SNMP for MP's:

Setting SNMP trap destination .......................................[SKIPPED] 
Operation is not supported on this system.

shocko
Honored Contributor

You say a PSU failed. Was this event logged ot the event log on the server where it failed? If it's still failed, restart the foundation/server agents and this will re-trigger the event and the snmp trap. Run a network sniffer and see if teh trap hits the SIM server. Also check in the control panel applet HP Managemnt Agents that none of the monitors are disabled.

Simkill
Occasional Advisor

It was a redhat server the power supply failed in. Rehad Linux 6.2 with Oracle kernal. Power supply featured all over the IML logs and SNMP was installed on the server by our software providers before it happened. The power supply has been replaced now so I can't really test anything.

shocko
Honored Contributor

Are they not dual power supplies? You could pull one but easiest thing to do is send a test trap from the System Management Homepage and this will test end to end communication ;)