Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1752699 Members
5779 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Reboot - No SIM Alert

Markus Aurelius

Reboot - No SIM Alert

Using SIM v5 SP4 with the latest management agents. Everything is working fine, all agents are registering correctly, and the proper systems related alerts are being sent to the SIM console. The only problem is that I'm not receiving alerts for when the system has been powered off or for reboots. Is something wrong or am I not doing something correctly?
3 REPLIES 3
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

A reboot can be over faster than the default (5 minutes) poll period. So HPSIM misses it.
I've split the polling to have a new 2 minute poll using SNMP only and then removed SNMP from the regular 5 minue poll.

If a Server is off for longer than that and you're still not getting an alert would indicate there's a problem with your Event Notification.
Markus Aurelius

Thank you for your reply. This leads me to my next question: How are folks using SIM to icmp / realtime monitor their servers for network availability? I'd like to receive a "Server down" message if the server crashed, etc., and likewise a "Server is now back online" message once the server is active on the network again. Or are they not using SIM but another suite for this?
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

HPSIM will pick this up, it automatically clears the Event when the Server is back. This behaviour is configurable.

You should see in the events for a Server both the Unavailable and Available messages. The latter is just an Informational message, but you could still get it to e-mail you if required.