Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding SIM Server

Skip Tannen
Occasional Advisor

Rebuilding SIM Server

Folks,

I recently migrated SIM from an IBM desktop machine (don't ask) to a ProLiant server using HP's migration docs - the database and managed servers migrated fine but for some reason none of the scheduled tasks run and I'm having some VC issues. Instead of spending a lot of time troubleshooting I'm thinking of rebuilding the SIM server from scratch with a fresh Insight installation. I'm planning on exporting the SIM host file to get the managed servers into the new SIM installation but I'm wondering how to handle certificates. I want to name and IP the new SIM server the same as the old one so I don't have to change SNMP on all the managed servers but how do I deal with the Cert? Can I do an export on the existing server and then import it into the rebuilt server? How is this done? Is there anything else I need to consider before taking down the existing server?

Thanks in advance.
2 REPLIES
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: Rebuilding SIM Server

I had a similar task recently and I got around the certificate issue in the following way.
This does rely on having a common domain account or similar as it uses the Deploy PSP option.
When the Server has been rebuilt export the certificate from the new server.
From the VCRM, reconfigure the Management Agent and use the new certifcate - generally just a cut and paste.
Now the fun bit.
From the VCRM Create a new Custom Baseline and include only the Management Agent you've updated above.
From HPSIM, goto Deploy and select the Proliant Support Pack Install, at the appropriate point select the Custom Baseline that just has the SMH Agent.
Also ensure the Overwrite buton is checked as you want to update those versions that are current.
Deploy to all of your Servers.
This shouldn't need a reboot for the SMH.
Skip Tannen
Occasional Advisor

Re: Rebuilding SIM Server

Thanks for the info, Rob. I'll give it a try and post again if it doesn't work.