Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1752754 Members
4653 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Receive "Login Failed Authentication" alert after chaning HP SIM 5.0 admin password

Terence Ng
Advisor

Receive "Login Failed Authentication" alert after chaning HP SIM 5.0 admin password

Several days ago, I changed the administrator password of my Win2k server on which the HP SIM 5.0 was installed.

I also changed the DB password by using the command below:

mxpassword -m -x MxDBUserPassword=newpassword

After changing the password, I restarted my HP SIM serer and could logon the HP SIM afterwards. However, I have been receiving a lot of "Login Failed Authentication" alerts from the HP SIM as extracted below:

============================================
Event Name: Login Failed Authentication
Event originator: hqsrdp01
Event Severity: Major
Event received: 15-Mar-2006, 17:29:22
Event description: Login Failed Authentication

Security Event Details
User Name: hqsrdp01\administrator
IP Address: 127.0.0.1
Device Name: 127.0.0.1
=============================================

Any idea?
11 REPLIES 11
Jerome Hains

Re: Receive "Login Failed Authentication" alert after chaning HP SIM 5.0 admin password

I got the same problem, someone can help us?
Preston Gallwas
Valued Contributor

Re: Receive "Login Failed Authentication" alert after chaning HP SIM 5.0 admin password

I wrote this down when I had this issue last september...sorry what I wrote down may not be of help but heres my entire note:

"

mxpassword -m -x MxDBUserPassword=├в (password)├в

The password cannot contain quotes.

Then, go into services and change the startup password for anything that uses the local administrator account to log on. "

I realize you've already done part of this, but have you changed the services?
Terence Ng
Advisor

I have already done what you have mentioned. The "Login failed authentication" still appears.
Esme Brown_1

I have had exactly the same problem. Resetting access to the database has been fixed by running the mxpassword command, but the error still occurs.

I thought it might be WMI/WBEM related when the discovery happens, so I turned that off. But I still get it.

The errors may correspond with DCOM errors in the eventlog:

"DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer <> using any of the configured protocols."

I thought of re-installing over the top, but it told me that the version was up to date, so I would have to uninstall all components first.
Esme Brown_1

Anyone had any further ideas about this? I have tried everything I can think of including reinstalling OpenSSH (using the new password) on the clients. Thanks in advance.
ramesh_naik_
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Terrence,

The last 2 posts in the below forum might help you...

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1008079

Regards,
rmn
Thomas Paulsen
Occasional Advisor

Ramesh, I tried following the procedure in the thread you suggested. This left me with a problem similar to what the solution was supposed to fix! :)
I have now restored the original keys, and HP SIM seems ok now after a restart, but the "Login Failed Authentication" errormessages still appear, and they are PLENTYFUL! About 100 per 10 minutes, so I'd say it's a problem I need solved.

Terrence, I got this problem while trying to reconfigure HP SIM to use another account than the domain Administrator user, this has proven to be VERY difficult! I've read up on most of the available whitepapers, but they only help me so far. I'd like to see a step-by-step guide for "moving" SIM to running on another service account... Reinstalling now seems like a breeze.. :)
Thomas Paulsen
Occasional Advisor

I notice now, using the marvelous ProcessExplorer from Sysinternals, that there is a lot of CPU usage, a lot of hits into the db, probably cause by logging the "Login Failed Authentication" errors in SIM... The one thing I see that's stealing a lot of CPU, are recurring cmd.exe's running mxpassword.exe for a few seconds, and then closing. They reappar several times every second, uses close to 50-90% cpu for half a second, then disappear and reappear..

I'm gonna reinstall SIM now, just wanted to add this little piece of information to the discussion...
ramesh_naik_
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Terence,

Please check whether this is helpful in case you have not tried this:

After Changing the Database Password and the HP SIM Password-> If the database password and HP SIM service account passwords are changed, the following steps must be performed to gain access to HPSIM:
1. Stop the HP Systems Insight Manager service.
2. Update the HP Systems Insight Manager Services Properties page, under the Log
On tab, with the new password.
3. Launch the MxPassword GUI by running the following command:
~HP\Systems Insight Manager\bin\mxpassword -g
4. Modify the password of the MxDBUserPassword key to reflect the new password.
5. Start the HP Systems Insight Manager service.

After Changing Only the Database Password
If only the database password is changed, the following steps must be performed to gain access to HPSIM:
1. Stop the HP Systems Insight Manager service.
2. Launch the MxPassword GUI by running the following command:
~HP\Systems Insight Manager\bin\mxpassword -g
3. Modify the password of the MxDBUserPassword key to reflect the new password.
4. Start the HP Systems Insight Manager service.

Hope this works!!!!

Regards,
rmn