Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1748132 Members
3545 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Reducing the spam from SNMP traps (agents to SIM)

LGentile
Trusted Contributor

Reducing the spam from SNMP traps (agents to SIM)

This is going to sound strange, but..

I know using traps is a love/hate relationship.  You want to know when something happens, but you don't want to know more than once until you can fi x the issue.  Is there a way to calm down the amount of times an HP agent will generate a trap to SIM?  

Here's an example..  We have a server with a failed RAID cache battery.  Getting it replaced may take a few days since we have to schedule a brief outage of a server.  In the meantime, the agents have sent the same event to SIM about 6-7 more times over the course of a day or two.  Normally this isn't an issue - i don't care how many events appear in SIM, but our issue is that we want HP Operations Manager to directly open tickets for us in Remedy.  We don't want the 6-7 duplicate tickets (yes i know HPOM can throttle this as well) but i wanted to know if there's a way to configure the agents to only send "new" events and not regenerate the same event over and over, or a least less frequently...

Just looking for suggestions..

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
shocko
Honored Contributor

Re: Reducing the spam from SNMP traps (agents to SIM)

When you say the SNMP traps are being sent multiple times, are you rebooting the server at all or restarting the agents?

If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)
LGentile
Trusted Contributor

Re: Reducing the spam from SNMP traps (agents to SIM)

No sir - the events are simply spamming in every 7-8 hours on average from any given system that has a current hardware issue.  At least i figured out that the agents will send events on every SNMP community name - i went and altered the registries for all servers to only use one for traps.  Now i would just like to see the server stop sending events after the first instance.  Sometimes you can configure this from the source or the system sending the traps, i just don't see anywhere in the agent configuration where you can specify or at least set a period where a duplicate event is held (say, 1 week or something).

Thanks