Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM 5.1 Performance Management Pack install failed

SOLVED
Go to solution
MojoFly
Occasional Contributor

SIM 5.1 Performance Management Pack install failed

It says cannot create PMP database and fail. It then tries to uninstall PMP but:

"Uninstall has detected that HP PMP is currently running" and that I should close all instances.

1. Why can't the PMP DB be created? I was able to create the SIM DB on the same server with the same credentials.

2. Where are these PMP instances and how do I stop it?

TIA.
6 REPLIES
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: SIM 5.1 Performance Management Pack install failed

Check on the DB Server that there's not an old PMP Database or just the DB Files lying around.
That's caused issues with me before now.
MojoFly
Occasional Contributor

The old PMP DB was automatically removed, when the SIM 5.1 PMP upgrade failed, so there's no trace of any PMP DB instance on the server.

I have uninstalled SIM 5.1, and went back to 5.0, but same thing happened. Please see log files for details.

PMPDB.log ------------------------
Setup failed in detaching the database with the below error1> 2> Msg 15010, Level 16, State 1, Server SQL\IT, Procedure sp_detach_db, Line 25
The database 'PMP_V3_0' does not exist. Use sp_helpdb to show
available databases.
1> Setup failed in attaching the database with the below error1> 2> Msg 5105, Level 16, State 4, Server SQL\IT, Line 1
Device activation error. The physical file name 'C:\Program Files
(x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$IT\Data\PMP_V3_0.mdf' may be
incorrect.
1> Error in Creating Database PMP_V3_0

HPPMP.log ------------------------
Starting HP Performance Management Pack Installation...
Is earlier versions of PMP found? No
Is the Operating System and Service Pack Valid? Yes
Is the screen resolution valid? Yes
Is HP SIM installed? Yes
Is PMP 4.1 already installed? No
Successfully retrieved HP SIM installation path.
Is Disk space sufficient for PMP installation? Yes
Applying PMP schema to the database.
LMT Export in Progress...
HP Performance Management Pack was unable to create the HP Performance Management Pack database. Aborting the installation
Failed to install PMP.

Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

What's the SQL Server version?

It's almost like the default location for the database files is incorrect.

C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$IT\Data\PMP_V3_0.mdf

Does this directory structure actually exist?

That (x86) seems a bit odd.

The defaults can be changed fro SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 2005. Not sure how it's handled in MSDE.
MojoFly
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the response. I'm starting to see where the problem is.

We are using SQL 2000 w/SP4 on a remote DB server. The path (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$IT\Data) actually exists on that server, but the PMP DB is not there.

However, the DB server has another partition (D:\), where all the DBs are and sure enough, the PMP DB is there, together with HP SIM DB.

Question now is, how do I change PMP install, to point it to the correct path (D:\MSSQL$IT\data)?

TIA.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor
Solution

I believe the install would just use the default path. That is set at the SQL Server end.
I'd check the settings there. I think it's under the Properties for the DB Server instance.
MojoFly
Occasional Contributor

As mentioned, the actual PMP DB was on a separate partition where all default SQL DBs are. I think this was whats causing the install to fail when it detected another instance of the PMP DB, and wasn't able to overwrite it, then tried to install it on to another path.

Strange thing was that, while the PMP DB was there, it wasn't showing in SQL Enterprise Manager. We deleted the PMP DB manually, and reinstalled. Finally, it went through.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Btw, the C:\Program Files(x86) path is the default path for 32-bit apps when installed in an x64 machine.