108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SIM 5.1 SP1 and monitoring EVA's - CVEVA 6.0.2 and SMIS-EVA

SOLVED
Go to solution
Larry Fee
Advisor

WEBES is working on the commandview server, I can see al the storage - this is something in the way SIm makes the call using wbem, it cannot seem to see the agent

any info on how SIM acutally makes this discovery would be appreciated
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

HPSIM connects via the CV Server.
So you need to have the wbem credentials loaded for that specific server that are used in the wbemdisco command.

I only use server specific wbem credentials, e.g. wbem is enabled under the global settings in SIM, but there are no credentials there.

From HPSIM, I'd then click on the server name for the CV EVA Server, and use the override wbem credentials under tools, system protocols setting and add the credentials noted above there.
The identification of your CV EVA server should then pick up the fact that the EVA's are visible from here.

Sometimes after messing around I find that a restart of the WMI service on the HPSIM server finally kicks things into life.
Larry Fee
Advisor

I am using server specific wbem credentials - and those credentials work with WBEMdisco - unfortunately, when I run an identify system, or discovery within SIM, I get the following:
Checking for WBEM support on system.
This system does not have any SMI-S CIMOM installed
This system doesn├В┬┤t have a server CIMOM installed

For some reason, even thought wbemdisco sees the WMI/WBEM info, SIM cannot seem to make this connection (wbemdisco ran from the SIM server). It appears that SIM config is causing this.

I have WMI mapper set to the same port I am using for WBEM

On the target server, WEBES can see and manage the server

I guess I will have to open a ticket with HP.

anything esle in SIM ocnfiguration i am missing?
Larry Fee
Advisor

looks like I found the culprit - when you install the HP SMIS-EVA, it creates some AT tasks that must run under context of local admin, and have Run As a Batch Job User rights ASsignment - this had been removed via GPO - working on getting it enabled.
will psot results
Larry Fee
Advisor

nope - thought I had it

I will note that when I run a COnfigure or Repair agents I get this

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Create subscriptions for WBEM indications
The feature is not available on this system.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Install certificate for WBEM authentication
The feature is not available on this system.

As far as certificates, I am not using ssl, just http, so i am not concerned, but any ideas on WBEM

It all pears to be running on the target, I can now run the batch files webes and SMIS-EVA installed, but still no luck on connection. Will call HP tomorrow!

Larry
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

I've not got my head around wbem certificates and how they work yet. The documentation is a bit sparse. But I don't believe they're needed.

If you click on the server name for the server hosting CV EVA and expand the product description is wbem included as a Management protocol? It should be.
Below that I have a section for "Managed Systems" and in there are the two EVA's we have.
Again, wbem is configured for this server to not use the global settings but to use server specific settings and that's set to use the default wbem administrator user, I've also included the port number (5989)

As I mentioned, if wbemdisco is working, try restarting the Pegasus WMI Service on the HPSIM server, I've seen that get hung up before.
With wbemdisco it's important that you're seeing that it has recovered info from the EVA, e.g.
HPEVA_StorageSystem.CreationClassName="HPEVA_StorageSystem",
Name="xxxxxxxxx"
NameSpace = root/EVA
Vendor=HP
Name=EVA
IdentifyingNumber=5000xxxxxxxxx
Larry Fee
Advisor

here is the wbemdisco repsonse from the SIM server (I removed Ip addr for security)
E:\HPSIM\Systems Insight Manager>echo off
WbemDisco 01.00.01
------------------
Gui: Gui starting
Gui: Creating frame...
HOST = 10.235.6.66
PORT = 5988
NAMESP = root/pg_interop
USER = evasmis
PASSWD = *****
Connect to 10.235.6.66 in namespace root/pg_interop with SSL=false

ObjectManager.Name=PG:3F75CA6A-2097-410E-97D3-BFCAEDFCA2C2
ElementName=Pegasus
CimomVersion=
Description=Pegasus CIM Server Version 2.5.1.32 Development

Enumerating instances of CIM_RegisteredProfile...

Profile.RegisteredName=Array
RegisteredVersion=1.1.0
ProviderVersion=6.0.2
HPVersion=EVA6.0.2-Dev07
SubProfile.RegisteredName=Array:Software
SubProfile.RegisteredName=Array:Pool Manipulation Capabilities and Settings
SubProfile.RegisteredName=Array:Job control
SubProfile.RegisteredName=Array:Physical Package Package
SubProfile.RegisteredName=Array:Backend Ports
SubProfile.RegisteredName=Array:Masking and Mapping
SubProfile.RegisteredName=Array:Block Services
SubProfile.RegisteredName=Array:Disk Drive Lite
SubProfile.RegisteredName=Array:FC Target Port
SubProfile.RegisteredName=Array:Fibre Channel Initiator Port
SubProfile.RegisteredName=Array:LUN Creation
SubProfile.RegisteredName=Array:Copy Services
SubProfile.RegisteredName=Array:Access Point
SubProfile.RegisteredName=Array:Location
SubProfile.RegisteredName=Array:Multiple Computer System
SubProfile.RegisteredName=Array:Block Server Performance
HPEVA_StorageSystem.CreationClassName="HPEVA_StorageSystem",Name="50001FE15003
5AD0"
NameSpace = root/EVA
Vendor=HP
Name=EVA
IdentifyingNumber=50001FE150035AD0
HPEVA_StorageSystem.CreationClassName="HPEVA_StorageSystem",Name="50001FE15008
81A0"
NameSpace = root/EVA
Vendor=HP
Name=EVA
IdentifyingNumber=50001FE1500881A0
Profile.RegisteredName=Server
RegisteredVersion=1.1.0
ProviderVersion=

You are right though - in System Description - WBEM is not listed - but that is because when I do a discovery - it says that no SMIS CIMOM or server CIMOM exist, when invariably they do - as shown aboe using Wbemdisco - for some reason SIM cannot see it - PS, I am using straight http - port 5988

I just found something in the docs stating that WBEM and the insight management agents cannot co-exist on the same box? I have SIm agents, SNMP and WBEM on this box - all I wanted to do was monitor stroage, and the SIM agents cannot pick up the EVA's so I guess I should un-install or disable the SIm agents and try that.

Larry Fee
Advisor

Well

It turns out that all Insight Manager agents must be un-installed from the server you want to use as your CV server, for some reason Insight agents block SMIS/WBEM. The minute you un-install, everything appears

Hope someone else gets something from this.

One thing - remember HPInsight Diagonstics as well.

Thanks all for your input.
Larry Fee
Advisor

As I stated in the last post - ALL Insight Manager agents, including Insight Diagnostics, must be removed from the server you want to monitor using WBEM and SMI-S EVA. This should have been a pre-requisite in the installation manual, it turns out it is a small subnote in the WBEM section of the WBEM item in HPSIM Help/user guide, and I missed it until today.

Thanks to all for your help.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Not sure that's the issue as I run the HP Agents on the server hosting CV EVA with no problems.
Not too sure if that's a typo or you've changed things, but I believe the default SMI-S/wbem port for CV EVA is 5989. You listed 5988.