7713 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SIM 5.1 Upgrade Fails

Tim McGue
Regular Advisor

SIM 5.1 Upgrade Fails

All,

My SIM 5.1 upgrade failed (I've had trouble with all upgrades for SIM so I wasn't surprised). After trying to self troubleshoot I finally got to the point where the only choice left was a clean install. So now I've got a new blank database. Is there a way that I can repoint it to my 5.0 database and upgrade that database to work with 5.1?

Thanks,
Tim
5 REPLIES 5
Joel Rubenstein
Honored Contributor

Re: SIM 5.1 Upgrade Fails

If you have a backup of your SIM 5 database you could try to run the C:\Program Files\HP\Systems Insight Manager\config\schema50_51.sql script to update the SIM 5 database. Then you would need to edit the database.props file to point SIM 5.1 to the old database and restart the SIM service.

No guarantees.
Tim McGue
Regular Advisor

Thanks Joel. I ran as you outlined. Things look pretty good. I'm able to see my systems. I lost some settings, but going through the first time setup was easy enough to get them back in. The only thing I see missing of importance is "all scheduled tasks" which comes back with "There are no available tasks to display.". Any ideas or am I hosed?

Thanks again for your knowledge,
Tim
Joel Rubenstein
Honored Contributor

Tim,

The only other option you might try is to open a command prompt on the SIM CMS and run
"mxconfigrepo -m". If this does not correct the problem then I do not know how to fix your current installation.

I'm not sure what problems you encountered during the upgrade but you could uninstall SIM 5.1, reinstall SIM 5 and then restore a backup of your SIM 5 database and edit the database.props file to point to the old DB. This should recreate your SIM 5 environment except for some minor configurations like the protocol settings which you can easily restore.
SEBEMISMNUSA
Frequent Advisor

I had a similar failure with the update to HP SIM 5.1 from HP SIM 5.0 sp # 5. Surprisingly, the failed update did not alter the HP SIM 5.0 database.
I ran the HP SIM commands to check. Details are at
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1091862

I uninstalled HP SIM 5.1 and re-installed HPO SIM 5.0. From Microsoft SQL Query analyzer, I then attached the older HP SIM 5.0 database to the new HP SIM 5.0 installation. (When I installed the HP SIM 5.0 again, it created another database.)

With sp_detach and sp_attach commands, I attached the older HP SIM 5.0 database to the new HP SIM 5.0 installation. I am running HP SIM 5.0 sp # 5 again with the former database.

I have also asked for a test HP SIM server. I am *never* planning to update a production HP SIM system without a thorough in-house test.

End

Eric van Straten
Occasional Advisor

Good afternoon,

Going to jump in with a "me too."

During the upgrade of 5.0sp2 to 5.1 the process died during the install of the SIM module (during the database update portion). Restarted the installation and the other modules finished but the SIM portion would not re-run.

Contacted HP and they suggested running a restore from tape and try the upgrade again. Problem is the server still "thinks" that 5.1 is installed. So when I try to upgrade again it will only update the modules that are not installed (and don't need/want).

Right now HP's recommendation is to completely uninstall, re-install 5.0sp2 from scratch and attempt an upgrade again.

About ready to scrap the whole thing and start over... it's only a couple hundred servers...how bad can it be?? ;-)

Thanks,
eric