108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SIM 5.1 Windows Server with Linux Clients

SOLVED
Go to solution
Megan Kielman
Advisor

SIM 5.1 Windows Server with Linux Clients

Is there anything special I need to do to manage Red Hat clients when running SIM 5.1 SP1 on Windows? I tried to do a manual discovery and it isn't picking up the linux system. Are there SIM logs that would show me what SIM does when it attempts to discover a system?
9 REPLIES 9
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

You'll need snmp set up correctly.
Check you don't have discovery filters enabled or you may be filtering out unknown/unmanaged devices.

If they're HP servers then there are HP Agents for them, not essential but gives more data.

Check for firewalls etc. preventing HPSIM getting to the clients on the protocols.
A. Edens
Frequent Advisor
Solution

You need to have the net-snmp rpm installed, then you need to configure the file at /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf.

rocommunity rostring 127.0.0.1
rwcommunity rwstring 127.0.0.1
rocommunity rostring
trapcommunity
trapsink
syscontact
syslocation

#This entry should enable HP MIB items.
#It was taken from VMWare, but I would
#think it would be the same for Red Hat.
#If it doesn't, comment it out.
dlmod cmaX /usr/lib/libcmaX.so

After editing this file, restart/load snmpd

/etc/init.d/snmpd restart
or
service snmpd restart

Check for errors in /var/log/messages, if all is good, then netstat should show snmpd listening on UDP/161.

After that, you will need to enable snmpd to start when the system boots, however you do that with your linux distro.

Also, if you are running iptables, you need to make sure that it allows UDP/161 inbound/outbound.

Hope it helps.
Megan Kielman
Advisor

Thank you for your responses. I have modified my filter to include unmanaged systems and I have forwarded your suggestions to the admin of the linux system I am trying to manage with SIM. Are there logs on the SIM server that would indicate what it happening when I am trying to manually discover the system?
A. Edens
Frequent Advisor

Megan,

There is an audit log here:

Tasks & Logs >> View HP Systems Insight Manager Audit Logs

This will tell you what is being discovered, etc.

However, you will know when the underlying SNMP is working on the Linux box. Simply getting net-snmp and the community strings correct will allow SIM to know that it is a Linux box and it won't be 'undefined' or 'unknown' anymore. You just won't have the full SIM functionality until you install the SIM agents.

You can also test the net-snmp installation with a command such as this from a linux box with net-snmp installed.

snmpget -v1 -c system.sysDescr.0

Hope it helps.
Megan Kielman
Advisor

Ok the linux admin verified everything that has been suggested. I looked in the SIM logs and found the following relating to this system:

98243: 2007-11-05 11:29:37 PST,CONFIG,SUCCESS,RUN,DISCOVERY,Manual:inprod4,SUMMARY,domain\admin,414449,1647758773,Administrator
98244: 2007-11-05 11:29:46 PST,CONFIG,SUCCESS,MODIFY,NODE,linuxhost,SUMMARY,SIMServer\mxadmin,0,11648878,
98245: 2007-11-05 11:29:50 PST,CONFIG,SUCCESS,MODIFY,NODE,linuxhost,SUMMARY,SIMServer\mxadmin,0,11648879,
98246: 2007-11-05 11:29:51 PST,CONFIG,SUCCESS,MODIFY,NODE,linuxhost,SUMMARY,SIMServer\mxadmin,0,11648880,

What do these mean?
A. Edens
Frequent Advisor

The file seems to show the timezone, then what was asked to be done, the result, who ran it and where.

You say your linux admin has verified the other suggestions made. Were you able to run the snmpget command successfully?

If so, have you deleted and attempted another rediscovery on the node in question?

Honestly, if you can talk to net-snmp, then SIM should pick up something. After that, it's just a matter of configuration of the SIM agents.

Has your linux admin ran the SIM agents install script? Are the agents loaded *and running* on the machine?

Run 'ps -aux'. You should see at least 'hpsmhd', several daemons beginning in 'cma', and perhaps 'hpasmxld' running.

As a matter of fact, can you have your linux admin give you copies of the following files/commands?

Run the command 'ps -aux' and post it here.
Run the command 'netstat -na' and post it here.
Post the contents of file /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf.

These files will verify if you have the proper services running to use SIM.

Megan Kielman
Advisor

I am using the tool 'getif' from my Windows SIM server and it is unable to connect to the linux host. I did a packet capture and verified that SNMP traffic is flowing but the response I am getting to my SNMP Get has Error Status: No Such Name.

We have confirmed that all services are running as you requested previously
A. Edens
Frequent Advisor

I hate to point out the obvious, but the underlying SNMP system has to be running before SIM can do anything.

Also, verify that the Red Hat server's hostname can be resolved both forwards and in reverse from wherever you are trying to query it.

I would start working the problem backwards from the Red Hat server until I found where SNMP 'get' commands stopped working.

I would suggest disabling all firewall services for the time being, it's your call.

Start with querying localhost from the Red Hat server. If you get no answer, either Net-SNMP is not working or not configured correctly, or there is a firewalling/networking issue.

Fix Net-SNMP/firewalling.

If you get the expected response, move on.

Make the same query to the IP address bound to the server's NIC from the Red Hat server.

If you get no answer, disable any firewall rules, and use netstat to make sure UDP/161 is bound to all address.

If you get the expected response, move on.

From another machine on the same subnet, make the query over the network to the Red Hat box. It should be working if you were able to hit the IP address (not localhost) of the Red Hat box.

From another machine *not* on the same subnet, make the query over the network to the Red Hat box. If it stops working, check for a routing problem, either at the Red Hat box itself, or in your core networking devices.

Try this procedure. Leave SIM out of it for the time being. Just verify that Net-SNMP is working properly. Once you can successfully do all of these things, making SIM work isn't all that difficult.

Hope it helps.
Megan Kielman
Advisor

All - Thank you for all of your help. It turns out that we had two problems.

1. The linux client had SNMP views configured which was preventing the linux system from responding to the SIM server SNMP GETs.

2. The SIM server's filter was configured to allow only systems with the foundation agent installed.

Regarding #2, I am not sure why the foundation agent still isn't installed even after he ran updates from the SmartStart CD but I have asked the Linux Admin to look into it.

Thank you for all of your help!