Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1754020 Members
7715 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SIM 5.1 not recognizing ESX server

Marc_IT

SIM 5.1 not recognizing ESX server

Hi, we're having problems with SIM not detecting that our ESX (3.0) servers are indeed ESX servers. So not putting them in the correct container or seeing its VM hosts. The HPASM agent is running fine on the ESX server, and in the HP System Management it has identified the server as a "Linux - VMware ESX Server". While in SIM it just see's it as a Linux box.

If I manually put in the VM hosts on the ESX, it picks it up immediately as being a VM client and puts it in its correct container. I'm using the 7.90 agent, which I believe is the latest. Checking the container definitions for what it should define as an ESX doesn't seem to give much info.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

7.91 is the latest HP Agents for VMware ESX.
You might also want to check the snmp settings - the easiest way is to look at the file;
/etc/snmp/snmpd.conf
It's snmp that identifies the server.
Mike EvansCengageLearni
Frequent Advisor

We are experiencing this issue too. We are using the 7.91 agents and are running ESX 3.5
I just recently noticed that only some of my hosts are not recognized as ESX hosts. I have removed and readded them, I have re-identified them. Nothing seems to have worked.
Marc_IT

Have checked SNMP and it all seems correct, in SIM the OS name is coming up as "Linux - VMware ESX Server". So it does seem like its been identified properly (didn't notice that). Maybe it is a misunderstanding, I was told that once the ESX was seen on SIM, it would be put in the correct container and pick up all its hosts. First time I have done this, so could be that is not the case and you have to add them manually.

Thanks
Scott Shockley
Occasional Advisor

I am having the same issue. We upgraded to ESX 3.5, so I upgraded SIM to 5.2 with SP1 and VMM Pack 3.5. I also downloaded hpmgmt-8.0.0-vmware3x.tgz and upgraded the HP Management Agents on all the ESX hosts.

After upgrading to hpmgmt 8, the the System Management Homepage was inaccessable so I had to re-open the firewall ports even though esxcfg-firewall -q showed the ports as open.

After I did that then I was able to access the SMH.

But since the upgrade almost all of my ESX have now report "The VM Host has been licensed for HP VMM, but is not currently communicating with HP VMM service".

I tried re-identifying the systems and the one thing I noticed was that when I tried run the VM Host registration it said the systems were unsupported.

Operating System Name must equal:Hypervisor

I have confirmed that the SNMP settings are still correct, and the same as before when everything was working, but somehow SNMP is not populating the System Prperties correctly

I had to manually change the "Operating system for tool filtering:" to "Hypevisor" so I could run the Host Registration.

I think I am getting close but what broke SNMP?
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

When you upgraded VMM did you also update the VMM Agent on the ESX Server. In addition did you update / install the certificate that is now required in order for VMM / HPSIM to work correctly?
There's a quick guide that covers off the steps on the HP site.