1753789 Members
7593 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SIM 5.1, server freezing up and needing cold-boot

Brian Hahne
Regular Advisor

SIM 5.1, server freezing up and needing cold-boot

We have SIM 5.1 SP1 installed with the java hotfix. I am having issues with the server (BL20p G4) freezing up and needing to be cold booted.

A few weeks ago this started. The system was running fine, and all of a sudden just halted. After numerous cold boots, the dcom got corrupted. I rebuilt the entire server from scratch. It is running W2K3, SP2. It is also running SQL 2005 SP2.
Along with SIM, RDP is installed.
The system has been running fine for weeks. All of a sudden, it's halting again. The only way to do anything is to cold boot the system. It seems things start up... then it freezes up hard again. So in troubleshooting, I set SIM to manual (I can do this before it freezes), and then rebooted. The system stays up.
If you start SIM, it takes about 2-3 minutes before the SIM should be up and running... at that time the whole box freezes again.
Any thoughts on this? I really don't want to rebuild again.
19 REPLIES 19
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Brian,

Do you get any EVENT logs when this happens? As per the description, its sure that SIM has gone corrupt !

Also, this server is running a Database + SIM + its also a RDP server ! Seems its a bit too much for it to handle !!!

Well, Take SIM out of this server, & see if its working ok; Or try reinstalling it;

Regards,
James.
Brian Hahne
Regular Advisor

It really has never been too much for the server to handle. It's a 3.0Ghz, 2 processor box, dual cores, with 4gb of ram. It's been running fine this way on older hardware, and now on this newer hardware is much faster.

Nothing gets logged to the event log. It just freezes up. I don't understand what could cause this though. This is the second time this has happened apparently. The system never gets rebooted, has Mcafee virusscan on it with EPO agents pushed from a central server.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

That was just a figure of speech brian, I know, Blades can handle this & much more.

Well, Without much information; I would suggests starting from the Basics;

Update to PSP 7.9 & download & run Firmware Maintenance CD 7.9.

Regards,
James.
Brian Hahne
Regular Advisor

You'd be surprised. I've actually had HP tell me that running RDP and SIM on the same server can overload the box. And that was from HP support, as well as from our field tech who installed ISEE for us.

We are already running 7.90 and fw 7.90.
SIM 5.1, SP1, plus the java hotfix download..

The first time this happened, the hotfix wasn't installed. Then after multiple cold boots the DCOM got corrupted, so as I said I did a full reinstall, from scratch. Ran fine for quite a few weeks, then all of a sudden this past week, it just stopped. Not even from a reboot. It just stopped. Now as I said on reboot, everything starts up, then after 2-3 minutes, it hangs.
I assume it's SIM starting up it's java processes or something?
I have Kronos installed here and as the app servers/web servers load, they are unaccessible until the whole java (tomcat?) process loads and starts.
SIM seems the same way.. takes about 2-3 minutes for the whole she-bang to start up, and the web server to be accessible. So it's something in the web server for SIM loading.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

1) No Comments ;) {safe !}

2) Thats interesting ! So will taking SIM off the server make it stable ???

I would be curious !

Regards,
James.
Brian Hahne
Regular Advisor

Taking off? Or turning off?
If I leave the SIM service as automatic, the server is accessible for about 2-3 minutes. Then it locks up. In that time, you can use the server as normal. After that time, you can ping it, but all other functionality is gone.
I set the service to manual. The system runs perfectly and never hangs. So it is 100% tied to the SIM service, and the startup of it.
Brian Hahne
Regular Advisor

Is there any way to just reinstall the web server portion of the SIM?
It seems to me that is the issue.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Brian,

You can reset SIM, without Re-installing it.
Use the Command :
mxconfigrepo -├В ├В a

This Will restore the Default Database.

I am not sure how to Re install "just the web server portion of SIM"

Regards,
James.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Sorry that was :

mxconfigrepo -a

Regards,