1748198 Members
2649 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SIM 5.1 server resource use and scaling

fishmn
Regular Advisor

SIM 5.1 server resource use and scaling

We run SIM 5.1 SP1 on a DL385 dual core with 4GRAM on windows and a remote SQL DB on a high perf DB server. We have about 1500 devices on our network that SIM manages.

We are finding that the virtual memory resources get chewed up within two weeks or so and SIM starts becoming unresponsive and or something stops working like VCRM.

mxdomainmgr is a resource intensive process but fairly steady for memory use, mostly CPU abusive. The SVCHOST process running I assume to some network process appears to be the biggest hog of memory chewing up well over 2G of VM until the server just can't function and we do the 3 finger salute.

Anybody found any tuning methods in SIM to reduce resource use?

With HP focusing so much into SIM I think we're going to need a quad core 585 just to run the application!

R
11 REPLIES 11
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

Hy Rona,

Tips on getting help in HP Forum...APPLY YOU'RE POINT...you have 7 of 28 responses applied points,people read profile if they work they would like to get points.

Dan

PS: i have you re solution ;)
fishmn
Regular Advisor

Sorry I'm a bit confused, are you saying that I have open topics that I have not given points to answers? I try to give out points but sometimes get distracted with the million things going on at work. How do I find these topics that I've not given points on?

I'll gladly handout points for a solution! :-)

Ron
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

fishmn
Regular Advisor

Alright, thanks for the update. I have made sure that appropriate points been given out..

I'll be sure to give full points for a solution tho this issue.
Ron
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

One thing is thing you should reduce the information in you're database,like creact a filter the ignore all information,but not the warning,Criticale and minor event, these information can be HUGE,alway writing...OPTION>EVENTS>EVENT FILTER SETTING..select: Accept register events with severity> only CRITICAL-MAJOR-MINOR-WARNINGS

And another thing is have you're database localy,it will reduce the communication of the network a LOT!

This will reduce a lot you're problem,you can also remove all information already in you're database

Dan
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

Ohh yes to remove very fast all information is these way OPTION>EVENTS>DELETE EVENTS...Add target by selecting from>Informational Events...APPLY>RUN NOW
fishmn
Regular Advisor

Thanks Dan, I agree with some of your suggestions, definately get rid of the informational stuff, which we have not done. I do have a job to get rid of events older than 90 days.

I don't agree on the local database at least from what we've seen in prior configs, SQL used up far too many resources on the same server. Perhaps with the aggressive filtering you suggest it would be possible.. it is as they say a double edged sword.
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

I have over 600 items, running DL360 G3 with 2.5Gb ram, it uses about 1.5 gb ram with a local SQL 2000 database, all my traffic SNMP is IPSec configure.

Daniel
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

Mmmm..keeping informationnal data...try the filter for a week to say if it reduce resource of you re server.

Dan