1748248 Members
3601 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SIM 5.1 upgrade report

NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

SIM 5.1 upgrade report

Well, after spending yesterday test the upgrade on a test server I built, I bit the bullet and upgraded production today - cause I got nothing better to do with my time :)

Upgrade completed without incident. But here is a list of things that are kinda funky after the upgrade:

1) Collections that were sorted a certain way went back to the default sort format (for example my homepage view). So I had to reset them to my preferred sort (by device name).

2) Event lists are still not fixed. When you view them, they still show just the device name column and no other columns, including the link to the event so you can actually view it. If you go to "All Events" all of the columns are there except the most import one - the event type! You have to remove the column from view and re-add it to have it show up.

3) Rediscovered a bunch of existing devices and labled them as "orphan_blah_blah_blah". Seems to be only Virtual servers so far.

4) Generated a boat load of events called "Data Collection Retry Timeout". Think this is one time event.

5) Still cannot customize certain collection views. So I create a shared view, and want to sort it a certain way and only show some columns, the "Customize" link in the top right corner is not there. So I am stuck with default columns (ALL of them!) and the default sort order for shared collections.

Anyway. It was an otherwise sucessful upgrade with little problems.

Nelson
9 REPLIES 9
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Re: SIM 5.1 upgrade report

I have found I can no longer manually add iLO devices to SIM 5.1. I tried adding some new devices tonight and nothing. I then tried removing an existing iLO and readding, and now it is gone for good - cannot be re-added.

Luckily I can still add servers - both virtual and physical. I last added an iLO back on 11/06/2006. So it was working then. The last thing I did on the iLOs was enable directory based authentication using LDAP - a few days ago. But I can't believe that would cause SIM to break.

Can someone else try this and let me know if it works for them?

Thanks
Nelson
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

I just remembered I upgraded a bunch (the same bunch I enabled LDAP on) to the 1.89 firmware version.

So, I tried adding a device that is still running 1.82 of the firmware and is not enabled for LDAP, and I cannot add that either. So my guess is SIM 5.1 (or my install of it) broke the ability to add iLO devices.

Nelson
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

iLO problem solved. The upgrade must have unchecked the "Management Processors" check box in the Discovery Filters. I know ii was checked before - otherwise I would not have been able to add all my existing iLOs.

So after you upgrade, verify your discovery filters are set correctly.
fishmn
Regular Advisor

From the looks of things, this upgrade is a problem for most people. I'm reluctant to even approach it right now considering how important SIM is to us.

Can you tell me if users with limited configuration rights can now manage (clear, delete etc) events? 5.0sp5 they cannot.

Also does the WMI mapper appear to work better now?

Any compelling reasons to upgrade?

Thanks for your time.

Ron
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Hi,

We don't really use any of the security tools - always seemed very confusing to me anyways. Everyone on our team has the same rights. So I have never looked into this.

In the past, I had to setup an hourly scan of all our Virtual Machines to get past the problematic WBEM (of going "unknown"). So ever since I have had this job running, I have not had to deal with WBEM problems. I guess I can't verify if it is better.

The only thing I really like about the new version is the ability to send alerts based on lists. We all know how lame it was to get around that (SNMP Contact name for example). So to me this is a god-send.

Nelson
James D. Young
Frequent Advisor

I have upgraded my environment to 5.1 and Everything seems to work ok.

I found that on the Event Lists do a refresh of the page and the all the event lines showed up. that has worked in at least one test I did. Some have come up with all the data on the first click.

Got the same thing you got on number 4. Have not seen it since.

NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Yeah - my event lists are now working after some tweaking (not even sure what I did - I just know I was in there messing with them and now they work).

Thanks
Nelson
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Per the question about WBEM....

Seems to be much more stable now. I turned off my hourly device inventory of Virtual Server (created because WBEM would leave these devices listed as unknown until an inventory was run on them).

Now - WBEM does not seem to fail anymore. I have been running for about a week without having to run a manual inventory to fix the virtual servers.

Nelson
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Yep pretty good here.
VMM needed to be removed / reinstalled. The install seemed okay but parts of the VMM stuff were missing.
PMP is completely trashed here, but it was trashed before and I suspect there's something in the license registry keys that are messing it up.
Got the Contract stuff working, that seems nice although it looks as though it has just picked up the basic warranty stuff and not the extended warranty we've purchased. I need to investigate that a bit further.