7790 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SIM 5.1SP1: "Initial PSP Install" keeps on failing

M.E.H.
Occasional Advisor

SIM 5.1SP1: "Initial PSP Install" keeps on failing

Hi,

I set up a test SIM 5.1SP1 Central Management Server and a test target server: both W2003 Server SP1 and in the same Windows-domain.

"Initial Proliant Support Pack" (with or without OpenSSH-installation incorporated) and separate "Install OpenSSH" always fail, both to the CMS itself (which already HAS OpenSSH of course) and to the target-server, with the message:

>>>>>>>>>>

HP Remote Deployment Console Utility
--------------------------------

Initializing...

Unable to connect to the target computer. All available connection methods were attempted with no success.

A possible reason is that the operating system of the target computer is not supported. An unknown error occurred that prevented connection to the target computer.

Unknown Initialization Error!

--------------------------------

>>>>>>>>>>

I've tried domain-admin credentials, local-admin credentials of CMS and of target-server, created another user with local-admin rights on both CMS and target-server... it just won't happen.

I have also looked into the SIM-security, into SIM's trust-settings, into OpenSSH-stuff (which I hardly knew) etc., but I cannot find what setting or credentials I have to alter.

Google hasn't made me much wiser either, to my surprise. Anybody a solution please??

regards,
M.E.H.
14 REPLIES 14
RomainL
Advisor

Re: SIM 5.1SP1: "Initial PSP Install" keeps on failing

Try to use Deploy > Deploy Drivers, Firmware and Agents > Install Software and Firmware

Then select your software baseline.

I had same issue, i've posted a thread on this forum 3 weeks ago ... but "search feature" seems not to work ...
Aravindh Rajaram
Honored Contributor

Run the "Configure or Repair Agents" task in HP SIM to fix the SSH problem and then try running the "Initial PSP install" task.
M.E.H.
Occasional Advisor

RomainL,

I thought I had tried this already, but I set up a new W2003 test target-server anyway.

Indeed, I had tried this already, the result is:
"status: failed
HTTP is disabled on the target system"

This probably refers to the System Management Homepage not being installed.
Which is correct, because the SMH is something I want to install via, yes, "Initial PSP Install"...

So I am going around in circles. But thanks for the reply anyway.

regards, M.E.H.
M.E.H.
Occasional Advisor

AMicSys,

I already tried that.

- Regardless of whether I use domain-admin credentials or local-admin credentials (also another user-with-local-admin-rights's credentials), and
- regardless of whether I select for SSH "host-based authentication" or "each user has to be authenticated on the managed system",
the result of repairing SSH is always:

"failed: HP Systems Insight Manager was unable to copy the HP Repair Tool executable over to the target system. Verify that target system has sufficient disk space.
There was an error running the Windows based repair tool, additional details abo
ve."

Disk space is of course not the problem on my server.

Thanks for your reply anyway.
M.E.H.
RomainL
Advisor

Did you found an answer ?
M.E.H.
Occasional Advisor

RomainL,

I have not found a solution yet. And because I have already tried everything I can think of (losing 2 weeks' time), I am not looking anymore.

So the workaround is manual installation of the Insight-agents on my servers. At this point, I don't install OpenSSH on the targets.

It's sad, but now I can at least test SIM's functionality.

regards,
M.E.H.
RomainL
Advisor

Sad :(

I've (maybe)a tip for you to minimize the time u spend deploying agents on a local computer : install only System Management Homepage and Version Control Agent on the target computer... so you can use Configure and Repair Agents or deploy other things later using SIM / your VCRM.
(But be sure VCA is properly configured on client)

There's a good post here by Cindy Osborn about PSP install : http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1122890

Hope this helps.
apm info

Hello,

I'm also having the exact issue as "Initial Proliant Support Pack" failed to install with exact error. I just wonder if you had found the fix for it.

Thanks.
M.E.H.
Occasional Advisor

Hello APM Info,

I found no fix, because I have stopped looking and trying several weeks ago. Instead, I just perform manual installation of the HP Agents on our servers (our servers are limited in number, fortunately). Once that is done, at least most of SIM's other functionalities can be used.

regards, M.E.H.