1753430 Members
4748 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SIM 5.2 upgrade completely fails

Kevin Kelling
Super Advisor

SIM 5.2 upgrade completely fails

I tried to uninstall and several different things but in the end the only way to get SIM back working was to due a full restore from tape.

I noticed that during the install when the database server selection screen was up, it detected the instance, but the DB name was incorrectly set to "master" and it was greyed out, not allowing me to change it.

Is there some trcik to getting the install to recognize the correct database?
10 REPLIES 10
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

The DB name showing as "Master" is normal, although not logical :( So I don't have an answer for you as to why your upgrade is failing, but I can tell you its not the "master" thing.

Nelson
Darrin Rawls
Respected Contributor

"master" is okay, that's the first thing it checks in order to create/extend the schema for the database.

Do you have NTLMv2 checked in your domain security policies or local security policy? Just checking as someone posted that that problem was back...
Kevin Kelling
Super Advisor

Nope. NLTM is "open" with default settings.

After the upgrade the SIM service would "start" but there was no activity and the web page would not open -- even locally.

We tried many things including uninstalling and we ended up having to do a full server restore.

I'd give up on SIM 5.2 if we didn't need to address a specific issue. I'm doing to have to completely rebuild our SIM server later this month from scratch.
Darrin Rawls
Respected Contributor

Did you open a support case so we can understand what is going on?
Change_happens
Honored Contributor

Yes trick is there. Just a trick!!
click on radio button (use SQL server) then click on radio button Use oracle.

See now u can change your master database as well as others!!
Kevin Kelling
Super Advisor

No I haven't opened a case.

Normally I would take this approach, but I simply have too many other fires that are burning hotter.

When I have time to take this up again, I'm just going to go for a clean rebuild -- importing only host lists and certificates.

This should be easier to support going forward (cleaner) and may even be quicker.

Thanks.
Manuel Dobrounig
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

we have nearly the same problem! The upgrade failed and hung up with the task "Creating Database and applying schema". We were not able to select our existing database. Only the "greyed-out" master database.

After completly uninstall of HP SIM 5.1 (last SP and fixes) we tried to install HP SIM 5.2 again.
No possibility to edit the database name (USE SQL/SQL Express), so we used the "greyed-out" master database again. After the installation completed successfully, HP SIM created a new and "empty" database without any existing/migrated data (servers, user/groups).

HPSIM Server: Windows 2003 Standard Server, SP2
Database Server: Windows 2003 Std Server, SQL 2000 SP4

Regards
Manuel Dobrounig
Occasional Advisor

Concerning to my last entry: Update to SIM 5.2 fails, complete uninstall 5.2, install 5.2 again -> new database created.

How can I use or say, that the setup has to use my "old", existing database for a new installation of SIM 5.1 or SIM 5.2???

Regards,
Robert Streitz
Advisor

Had the same problem when upgrading to 5.2. However, from previous experiences, I am very failiar with updtaing the database servername and database name within the "database.props, database.admin, databaseadminupd.tpl, and databaseupdate.tpl files. These can be found in the HP/Systems Insight Manager/config directory. Be sure the follow the SIM Backup procedures and back these files up before changing. They can be easily restored by overwriting the changes files if necessary.