Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1752777 Members
6205 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SIM 5.3 SP1 upgrade refers to "master" database during upgrade

Anthony DeRosa

SIM 5.3 SP1 upgrade refers to "master" database during upgrade

I was about to perform an upgrade of our 5.3 installation to the new SP1 release, but ran into an "insufficient access rights" issue early on in the install. I worked with HP Support for close to 3 hours on figuring this out; the account used to access SIM has db_owner privileges which I have been assured by my SQL admin and the support tech is enough to update descriptors in the db, which is what I was told the extent of the db changes during the upgrade would encompass.

After a few hours of trying different things, I got off the phone with support. I tried giving the service account used with HP SIM Administrator privileges on our database server (SQL 2005). Lo and behold, I finally get past the initial db connection screen and proceed with the install!

Once I get to the summary screen for the SIM upgrade, just before hitting "Next" to begin the process, I notice the database that it references as updating is "master" and not our Insight DB on that server. I was a bit weary of continuing at this point, as was my SQL admin, especially since the account needed local admin rights to that server to get to that point when I'm hearing that it probably shouldn't need that much.

I have read a few posts from earlier upgrades of 5.1 and 5.2 that this same issue has occurred, and even though "master" gets referenced by the installer, nothing actually gets performed on that db and does indeed only occur on the SIM db. This is the first time I have upgraded a SIM instance, and I guess I'm just looking for some more reassurance that this is also the case in 5.3 as many more databases besides the SIM db is hosted on that server, and I don't want to be "that guy" if by chance the upgrade went South!
3 REPLIES 3
Gary Tonkins
Advisor

Re: SIM 5.3 SP1 upgrade refers to "master" database during upgrade

Hi Anthony

I have tried the same and unkowingly it performed the upgrade on the master server and not the Insight instance and it actaully creates a new database in the master (new tables etc). So when you login after reboot you get a brand new instance of HPSIM. We had to restore the server and our DBA manually removed any entries that were added to the master database.
I have also posted a thread about this but without any reply as yet.
Our dba thinks that maybe the odbc connectors are pointing to maaster so that's why it upgrades that one. We are going to try and change to the HPSIM instance and then perform the upgrade again.
Not much help sorry but just a little info.

Regards
Gary Tonkins
Advisor

Anthony

We have now successfully upgraded our version of Insight to from 5.1 to 5.3 SP1 after an initial failure. Our dba granted the user account that has full CMS rights as a sysadmin on the database instance and also made sure that the odbc connector only connects to the Insight DB instance and not the master server. It all upgraded ok but does take quite a while.

Regards
brent lund

I've confirmed with HP support that it ALWAYS says 'Database:master' on the upgrade of HP SIM. This is dumb, but I went ahead with the install and it did NOT appear to create tables in my master database.

As a side note i do have the resource account setup as a SQL user with the default database as the Insight_xx_xxx databse, so it SHOULD login and touch that database if none is specified.