Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM 5.3, hosts not operating

Joshua Small_2
Valued Contributor

SIM 5.3, hosts not operating

Hi,
We have a Blade center with four blades. We were running SIM 5.2, but after upgrading our ESXi servers with Update 4, became aware we needed to patch SIM to support the later ESXi install. Instead, we upgraded to SIM 5.3

Since:
My Onboard Administrator (both of them) is always "unmanaged".
One ESXi server is "unmanaged", the other three of them appear to be managed correctly. They do not however appear to detect the VMs inside them.

Relevant information from the ESXi hosts which are detected:
Running WBEM rules based identification.
Got ComputerSystem WBEM/WMI data from the system
Running VM Identification.
The system is a VM Host, but has no guests running on it

Information logged for OA and the other ESXi host:
Running WBEM rules based identification.
Cannot get ComputerSystem WBEM/WMI data from the system

I couldn't count how many times I've redone the credentials, I'm quite sure it's not that.

Any assistance on this issue appreciated.


I have verified credentials and redone an "identify" multiple times
3 REPLIES
Aravindh Rajaram
Honored Contributor

Re: SIM 5.3, hosts not operating

Do you have the WBEM protocol enabled in in the global protocol settings? Are you able to discover any other systems using WBEM?
Aravindh Rajaram
Honored Contributor

Re: SIM 5.3, hosts not operating

Also, I'm not very sure if 5.3 supports ESXi 3.5 U4. Form another post, found that 5.3 Update1 will be out on 4/27. Watch out for it.
Joshua Small_2
Valued Contributor

Re: SIM 5.3, hosts not operating

Thanks for the assistance. I have found the ESXi issue to be the ESXi server. During the U4 installation process, for whatever reason, the updater installed the generic (non-HP) version of ESXi.

I performed a repair installation with the HP image and re-identified the ESXi host. Now all four ESXi hosts are managed correctly.

None of the U4 hosts actually detect their guests, which is an across the board issue I didn't mention because I felt strongly it was a U4 support issue. Hardware monitoring still works however (now that last server is fixed) which is the primary concern.

I still can't identify the OA. Still calls itself "unknown". I have tried enabling SNMP, and confirmed I can download the xml file from it as seen in other posts. I'm reluctant to do much with the OA itself as it's running the system.